Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Tuesday, February 09, 2010

    Tuesday Talkback

    Here are yesterday's moans.  Talk back at them yourself.  I've got a pain in my neck this morning far worse than any of these bozos.

    But allow me to take a moment to agree with this guy:

    "I have two words for the new Ohio license plate: God awful. I'll keep my old one before I put that plate on my car."
    -- Garfield Heights

    I appreciate what the designers were going for with the so called "Beautiful Ohio" license plate -- that Ohio is both an urban place and rural place.  

    Up close, it is kinda nice.

    But that is completely lost once you mount the plate on the back of a car. 

    When I drive by one of these new plates on the street, it looks like someone used a blue and white dish towel to sop up a coffee spill.  

    I don't see the generic city skyline or the bucolic barn -- I see a dirty dishrag.  No city, no barn, no Wright Brothers plane flying much higher in the sky than the real thing ever did -- just a swirl of blue, white, and faded gold.

    And the sun rays (or the "coffee" part) also sort of looks like a rust spot -- not up close, but just riding by.  I guess no one learned anything from those "pre-rusted" plates a few years back. Remember those?

    Who who, who who!  I really wanna knowwww!

    And, if you didn't notice, we're still hanging onto that "Birthplace of Aviation" canard.  Only one of the Wright Brothers was born in Ohio, and the plane itself flew in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.

    When Ohio wanted the US Mint to put that canard on the Ohio coin, it didn't pass the mint's sniff test.  


    The mint modified it to "Birthplace of Aviation Pioneers" -- which is far closer to legitimate --especially when you add the astronaut figure, seeing as Neil Armstrong was born in Wapakoneta and John Glenn in Cambridge.

    You know what else is missing from the "Beautiful Ohio" plates?  Ohio is cities, yes, and Ohio is farms, yes, but Ohio is also ... INDUSTRY!  Woohoo!  Where are the smokestacks on that plate? Oh, I suppose we don't want to celebrate that.  But if you need a reminder, here is a list of Ohio's superfund sites.  Yeah, guess that doesn't fit the "Beautiful" motif.

    For now, I'm going to see how long I can avoid getting a Beautiful Ohio dirty dishtowel for my car.  Maybe only until the real rust on my old plate looks worse than the simulated rust on the new plate.  A rusty license plate to remind us all of the epithet that we live in the "rust belt" -- an epithet Governor Strickland specifically attacked in his State of the State address.  Too bad he didn't attack it before the state approved the new license plate design. 

    Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

    Comments on "Tuesday Talkback"

     

    Blogger Kate Anne said ... (5:44 AM, February 16, 2010) : 

    You think someone would tell the design team that most plates are encased in frames. Or that the approval committee would have sent them back to the drawing board with that comment. (Good post!)

     

    post a comment