Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Tuesday, February 03, 2009

    Reanimation

    I'm back. And it is great to be back.

    I took down The Audient Files last May because I was exploring my career options. I looked at moving to Columbus, I looked at staying in Cleveland. I looked at going to another law firm, I looked at going in-house with a corporate legal department. I took down my old blog and all of its archives because I didn't want to offer up my occasionally crass observations as representative of what I am all about. Even though at times it may well have been reasonably accurate.

    Over the holidays, I did some serious soul searching. I had applied to various places (both in Cleveland and Columbus), had interviews, had opportunities presented to me, and none of them were suitable. And I realized that it was because none of it was what I wanted. I really didn't want to work in-house for an insurance company, or toil away thanklessly as an associate making some other guy look good. What I wanted, what I have always wanted, was to practice law on my own.

    Back in 1999, I left a firm where I'd been an associate for over two years because I was restless. I printed up business cards, opened bank accounts, got some file cabinets, and started scaring up some cases. I'd been at it for a couple of weeks when I was approached by a law clerk of a local judge who was looking for her next law clerk. I met with the judge, and she offered me the position. I liked her, and it was too good an opportunity to pass up. Besides, I'd been an attorney for barely three years, and I thought this would be a great way to grow professionally – and it was.

    When I finished my term at the court, I did what most outgoing law clerks/staff attorneys do: I parlayed my experience at the court into an associate position at a reputable law firm. At the time, it did seem like the right thing to do. And it worked for me for awhile. But ultimately, I knew that my head and heart were elsewhere.

    Which brings me back to that holiday soul searching. I was only 24 when I sat for the bar, and I've been that young kid attorney now for about a third of my life. And while I've done some wonderful things, things I'm proud of, things that helped some people who really needed help, I realized that I had fallen into a bit of a rut. And that if I wanted to reach the next level, I was going to have to leave the relative safety and shelter of the law firm and once again do what I had originally set out to do almost ten years ago: hang up my own shingle.

    I thought about the bad economy. Why not wait for a sunnier day? But the truth is, I could always have found reasons to wait. Other times, it was some big case that was going to trial that I wanted to see through, or some such thing. I decided that there was no better time than now – for if not now, when? In another ten years? Or would I wait till I had tuition bills to pay for the kids? Or to have a sick parent in a nursing home? No, there is no better time than the present, the now, to live the life I want.

    The difference now is that I have so much more experience than when I first tried this. I have the support of my wife and family. I have a small (and hopefully soon to be growing) group of great clients. And most of all, I have never felt better, and cannot ever remember being more invigorated about the practice of law than I am now. For years I wrote this blog as a side project. I kept my name off of it because I thought that I needed to keep a separate identity from my professional life. That ends now. And whether you know me as "Audient" – the one who listens (and sometimes rants) – or if you know me as Michael Dylan Brennan, attorney at law – the one who listens, solves problems, and seeks justice – this is who I am, who I've been, and who I will be.

    Labels: , , , , , ,

    Comments on "Reanimation"

     

    Blogger Kat said ... (6:07 AM, February 03, 2009) : 

    Woooo- hoooooo!!!

     

    Blogger Joe said ... (7:11 AM, February 03, 2009) : 

    Welcome back!

     

    Blogger Kate Anne said ... (8:16 AM, February 03, 2009) : 

    You've re-found your voice, proclaimed your identity, now find your destiny. Success and happiness in abundance, MD!!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:35 AM, February 03, 2009) : 

    Good luck.

    I may need to sit down and talk with you at some point in the next couple of weeks about how you go about starting out on your own as I may be in the same boat very soon.

    Matt A.

     

    Blogger Brian Kornell said ... (10:27 AM, February 03, 2009) : 

    Awesome!

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (2:42 PM, February 03, 2009) : 

    i'm so proud of you, sweets.

     

    Blogger Matt said ... (8:48 PM, February 03, 2009) : 

    Welcome back, and congratulations!

     

    Blogger haves said ... (8:50 PM, February 03, 2009) : 

    I would send you some clients, but I don't want them to beat me when I take them to court! haves

    PS-Congrats and we wish you the best of luck. At least we know who you have to ask for the next road trip!~

     

    Anonymous Janet said ... (10:16 PM, February 03, 2009) : 

    Bravo! Best of luck ... and well said.

     

    Blogger Kate Anne said ... (9:58 AM, February 08, 2009) : 

    And....?

     

    Blogger Christine said ... (8:47 AM, February 21, 2009) : 

    I am glad you are back! The Audient Files was one of my lifelines to Cleveland when I was still in New York. Good luck to you!

     

    post a comment