Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Thursday, April 24, 2008

    Eating the Young

    From when I was a young aspriring music student, I remember a slogan my old choir director had hanging above the piano in the practice room closest to his office.  It proclaimed in typeset letters that had to be at least a fifth generation photocopy:
     
    OLD AGE AND TREACHERY
    ALWAYS TRIUMPH
    OVER YOUTH AND SKILL.
     
    At the time, the sign confirmed for me something I already knew: that my choir director was an old prick.
     
    Today, I can recall those words as plain as day, as if I were still sitting at that old piano, helping myself learn the second tenor line wherever the harmony wasn't intuitive.  I think of those words as I watch two weary and exhausted presidential candidates continue on. One, who is a younger candidate, trying to hold it together and maintain his hard fought lead into the convention, who has largely refrained from bringing up the worst of this opponent's excesses. And an older one who is willing to say anything -- no matter how nasty or false -- in an effort to make her argument that he cannot win be a prophesy that she fulfills by the virtue of her own scorched earth tactics. 
     

    Comments on "Eating the Young"

     

    Anonymous Evil John said ... (3:30 PM, April 24, 2008) : 

    Did you see that the NYTimes has more or less withdrawn it's endorsement of Clinton? They don't like her campaigning either.

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (4:17 PM, April 24, 2008) : 

    i will not be voting for clinton if she's the nominee.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (4:19 PM, April 24, 2008) : 

    I did see that.

     

    Anonymous jbnimble said ... (7:47 PM, April 24, 2008) : 

    If your analysis is correct (and I fear it is), then I think Clinton isn't OLD enough to beat McCain.

     

    Blogger Mr. Bebout said ... (9:25 AM, April 25, 2008) : 

    A positive outlook will lead to a positive outcome.

     

    post a comment