Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Monday, March 03, 2008

    "We are the ones we've been waiting for."

    Tomorrow is the primary election.  I will take the Democratic ballot for the first time in years, and I will vote for Barack Obama.
     
    There are lots of reasons why I am happy to vote for Obama.  I do admire his accomplishments, his work on ethics reform, on loose nukes, and (as a state senator) passing the first law in the nation requiring the videotaping of police interrogations and confessions.  When he proposed this law as a state senator, it was widely assumed that it would go nowhere, that it would never pass.  Yet he masterfully worked with all of his fellow senators to achieve unanimous support for this groundbreaking law. 
     
    There are those who are skeptical of his rhetoric.  Those who think that if he sounds so good, he must be too good to be true.  It is reasonable to be skeptical of any politician.  But I do not believe his rhetorical skills are exclusive of skills to lead this country.  Indeed, being well spoken is a part of effective leadership.  What would Winston Churchill have been without his rhetoric skills?  Or Franklin Roosevelt?  Or Ronald Reagan? 
     
    And speaking of Reagan, another key difference between Clinton and Obama: Clinton speaks of what she will "do" for us, and what she will "give" us.  Obama speaks in terms of what we will do together.  In this respect he is more like Bill Clinton than Hillary is.  Bill once spoke of levelling the playing field, and making it so people who "work hard and play by the rules" could make their own way.  Obama is not a savior, and he doesn't tell us to wait for one.  Instead he says things like, "we are the ones we've been waiting for."  That it is up to each of us to step up and make the changes we want to see in this country.
     
    If there is any trouble I might have with Obama, it is on Iraq.  Leaving Iraq will not be as simple as declaring that we are leaving.  But I think he'll see that as president.  And I would rather have someone in there who is committed to ending our occupation of Iraq finding the best way to get us out.  Therefore, Obama is the candidate I trust to resolve this. 
     
    These are just a few of the reasons I'll be voting for Obama tomorrow.
     
    * * *
     
    If you are voting in the Democratic primary in Cuyahoga County, there are several judicial primaries on the ballot, and if you want some help sorting through those, please take a look at this site: http://www.judge4yourself.com/
     
    Of the several judicial races, I would specifically urge selecting Brendan Sheehan over Ann Mannen.  
     
    * * * 
     
    Cuyahoga election results... I wonder how many days it will be before we know the results?  I would prefer to be wrong about this, but I expect there will be a lot of problems tomorrow, first at the polls and then with the count.   

    Comments on ""We are the ones we've been waiting for.""

     

    Anonymous Evil John said ... (9:00 AM, March 03, 2008) : 

    I've seen his rhetoric skills/charisma presented as a mark against him.

    Geesh. Was a supposed lack of charisma Al Gore's saving grace?

    Yeah, some people seem to be "under his spell." That's a problem with people, who tend to not have enough gears between "suspicious distrust" and "worship." It's not really Obama's problem.

    Yeah, were he a nut his charisma would make him more dangerous... speaking of nuts:

    I've been looking at what the right-wingers have been saying... Are you disturbed by the FACT that Obama is like Hitler except that he's a communist and his mentor was a terrorist? Plus - even worse - you know what he is? I'm going to add asterisks to get past any censorship software. Even worse, he's a l*i*b*e*r*a*l.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM, March 03, 2008) : 

    I'll second your remarks regarding Sheehan vs. Mannen.

    -Matt

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (11:09 AM, March 03, 2008) : 

    Matt,

    Having seen Mannen [not] work up close, I see no good reason to put her back on the bench. Sheehan's campaign, running as a "tough prosecutor for judge," is not a theme that I particularly care for, as it implies that he'll be prosecuting from the bench. You know I am all for tough judges, but I am also for fair trials. That said, I tend to think the campaign is red meat for the electorate, and that Sheehan would be a fair judge. Mannen, on the other hand, was even softer on criminals than Sheehan's tough talk. When she showed up.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (11:14 AM, March 03, 2008) : 

    As for the national, I must add that among the things that drove me to the GOP for a few years was the appeal of McCain in 2000.

    Ironically, McCain version 2008 is helping send me back to the Dems.

    While I do think that McCain is the wrong choice for president in 2008, I still think we'd be a lot better of if he'd been our president since 2000.

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (11:23 AM, March 03, 2008) : 

    or, as I paraphrase from a 60 minutes interview of a man from Chillicothe:

    - He is a Muslim

    - He doesn't use the Bible

    - He "has his own beliefs."

    - He doesn't know the words to the National Anthem

    1. Obviously, 60 Minutes chose the biggest idiot in the room who can't be bothered to read or listen.

    2. Yes, because the Bible beating president we have now has done the country so much good. Point me to the passage on torture.

    3. Having your own beliefs is a requirement for classification as "living, breathing human."

    4. The National Anthem crap is part of the erroneous argument that Obama isn't patriotic enough. Running for president of the United States isn't patriotic?

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM, March 03, 2008) : 

    Audient-

    If you want to read something interesting, look at the PD's voting guide for Brendan and his remarks regarding how he'll run his courtroom. Does it remind you of anybody in particular?

    Matt

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (11:58 AM, March 03, 2008) : 

    He sure does! I like it. If we had more judges like that, the courts would be in much better shape.

    I also noticed that Sheehan's endorsements include South Euclid Mayor Georgine Welo. Given that Georgine used to be Mannen's bailiff, I think that says a lot!

     

    Anonymous Jason Sonenshein said ... (10:05 PM, March 03, 2008) : 

    The thing that bothers me about Mr. Sheehan is that he promotes himselfe as "a tough prosecutor." It's on all of his signs and literature. It leads me to wonder how respectful he'll be of the rights of criminal defendants.

     

    post a comment