Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Tuesday, February 19, 2008

    Carly Hennessy -- American Idol?

    Sometime after Gina and I met, we were going through our music collections when she came across my Carly Hennessey "Ultimate High" CD. I explained that I picked it up after reading a Wall Street Journal article about her, mostly out of morbid curiousity. Her CD bombed, having sold reportedly about 400 copies. The problem was, this young Irish lass with the powerful voice had recorded a set of songs that were too "mature" for her age and intended demographic. She was still a teenager when she recorded the track, released as a single, "I'm Gonna Blow Your Mind," which was a not so thinly-veiled song about giving a blow job -- all while MCA struggled with whether to market her as the next Britney Spears, or what exactly.

    Gina gave me that look -- that look that most people would give you when you say you've got a rare CD featuring a song by a teenage girl celebrating her skills at giving oral.

    Now -- I don't watch American Idol. But it has come to my attention that former major label washout Carly Hennessy is none other than Idol semi-finalist Carly Smithson (her married name). Some folks are crying foul, that it spoils the amateur spirit of the show.

    I am probably only person I know who heard her the first time. If anyone is curious in hearing her 2001 debut CD, let me know. I still have it. For now. I hear ebay calling -- especially if she does well on Idol.

    Labels: , , , , ,

    Comments on "Carly Hennessy -- American Idol?"

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (12:55 PM, February 19, 2008) : 

    you forgot to acknowledge that your music cred has slipped 1/10th of 1% in my eyes.

    i guess you would have given me that look if you had come across my La Bouche or Ricky Martin CDs.

     

    Blogger Kat said ... (4:16 PM, February 19, 2008) : 

    Well, you can also buy carly on amazon.com so don't get too excited about ebay! And Carly was probably my favorite girl so far... but now that this is her second shot, it makes me feel differently about her... She does have an awesome voice though... I guess we will see how things are handled.


    PS- I still have my Vanilla Ice cd. Ice ice baby!

     

    Blogger Matt said ... (6:43 PM, February 19, 2008) : 

    In France, her single was "I'm Gonna Blow Your Mime". When asked about it at the time, Marcel Marceau had no comment.

     

    Blogger Kat said ... (8:24 PM, February 19, 2008) : 

    Thats funny!!! lol

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM, February 21, 2008) : 

    Carly is a wonderful singer.. But this season the show is full of semi - professional singers.. I see it as a sign american idol is getting more serious and choosing real singers to compete in this live show. I hope everyone irish will be voting for her, because she is a credit to ireland and irish americans..


    PS. We are tired of seeing danny noriega and snajaya types on the show... We need real singers for a change..

     

    Blogger Alan Novitsky said ... (3:43 PM, May 02, 2008) : 

    Well, I too, purchased Carly's cd about 3 years ago, based on a review I read somewhere.....so we BOTH were ahead of our time......lol.....Alan

     

    post a comment