Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Thursday, January 10, 2008

    What a Deal: hhgregg delivery ripoff

    I had dinner with Kat the other night, then on a whim went to hhgregg at Ridge and Brookpark to look at dishwashers.  I saw one I liked.  It was originally $499, but was on sale for $469.  I asked how much it would cost to have it delivered, and the salesman said $39.99.  
     
    I was walking out of the store, contemplating whether to purchase when I saw the sign that said "free delivery -- on purchases $499 and up."  So, the dishwasher was originally $499 with free delivery, and now it was on sale for $30 less, but with a delivery charge of $39.99.
     
    Now, if I had I turned around and pointed this out, I might have been able to get the salesman to knock the price down a little bit so that the sale price delivered didn't actually cost more than the regular price delivered.  But some people wouldn't catch this, and even if they did, wouldn't have the fortitude to insist on a reduction.  Regardless, it is deceptive. 

    Comments on "What a Deal: hhgregg delivery ripoff"

     

    Blogger Mr. Bebout said ... (9:25 AM, January 10, 2008) : 

    I am anti HH Greg

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (9:27 AM, January 10, 2008) : 

    and then person with the most fortitude in face of middling customer service is.....

    you.


    or me, depending on what i'm dealing with.

     

    Blogger Kristen said ... (10:59 AM, January 10, 2008) : 

    How is that deceptive? You get it on sale and then you have to pay delivery. Or you pay full price and no delivery. I don't see the deception here. I mean, you might not like it, but that doesn't make it deceptive.

     

    Blogger Kate Anne said ... (11:16 AM, January 10, 2008) : 

    Send this in to Consumer Reports. And as Audient said, Kristen, the so-called sale actually make it MORE expensive. It stinks.

     

    Blogger Kathleen said ... (12:01 PM, January 10, 2008) : 

    Is there even room in your kitchen for a dishwasher? Where would it go?

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (12:44 PM, January 10, 2008) : 

    Any "sale" where the final price costs more than the original price -- I believe that is deceptive.

    I would add that Ohio Revised Code1345.02(B)(8) covers that -- that it is a deceptive practice for a store to represent "That a specific price advantage exists, if it does not."

    One might argue that no price advantage exists where the sale price results in a higher price.

    I haven't researched it extensively -- I must disclaim that this is not legal advice, just an observation.

    Now, as for where I would put a dishwasher, I could put it where the fridge is now, and move the fridge into the nook.

    This particular dishwasher is a convertible/portable model -- it can operate as a stand alone unit, or you can take the casters, sides, and wood veneer top off of it, and install it under the counter. This is why this particular model was enticing -- it is nice enough that I could incorporate it into a future kitchen remodel where it would then be permanently installed.

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (4:23 PM, January 10, 2008) : 

    i just saw the kitchen, my love. where is this dishwasher again?

     

    Blogger anne said ... (4:24 PM, January 10, 2008) : 

    Mmm, the thing is, the dishwasher was on sale, not the delivery. Delivery is a completely different "product". I don't think the two have to go together, especially because you don't HAVE to get delivery. I mean, you could always bring a pick up truck, load it up yourself and save the delivery charge. In which case, the $469 is cheaper. It might be unsavory, but I don't think there was anything illegal about it.

    Still, HHGregg sucks. I've never been happy with anything about that place.

     

    Anonymous Evil "I just sold 12 spiffed items" John said ... (4:49 PM, January 10, 2008) : 

    Unless there was a pattern of "delivery charge value or a little less" being knocked off the price of sale items it was quite possibly just an unintentionally counter-productive sale.

    It can be nice to think that people are generally clever enough to pull something like that, but I believe bone-headedness is slightly more likely.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (6:07 PM, January 10, 2008) : 

    Evil John -- ah yes -- we are often quick to assume malice when there is really just an oversight. And like I said, it isn't as if I turned around and pointed it out, then got a few more bucks knocked off the price. I didn't try it. I tend to think of those situations as negotiable.

    Anne -- if Papa John's pizza sold a large pizza with one topping for $10.99 with free delivery, then put it on sale for $9.99 plus a $2 delivery charge, which one is the better deal? Yeah, you could pick up the pizza in any vehicle, which is a helluva lot easier than picking up a 150lb dishwasher the size of a, um, dishwasher.

    And sure, I could probably pester someone with a truck or an SUV with a seat that pops out to help out -- but still.

     

    Blogger MrsTito said ... (10:08 PM, January 14, 2008) : 

    I'm going with Anne on this one - delivery is a seperate issue all together. And it is completely proper of the store to lower their prices to just below the $499 mark on many items, or else their delivery men are running around town all day delivering $500 dishwashers instead of $3000 washer/dryer combos.

    Not familiar with the HHGregg, but Home Depot and Lowes do it all the time too!

    I like the scratch and dent pile for new appliances. I picked up a new fridge for $400, originally $650 because it has a black skid mark on the side. That goes against the wall. Sweet.

     

    post a comment