Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Monday, December 10, 2007

    You Are Probably in the Settlement Class for the Currency Conversion Class Action Lawsuit...

    ...and if so, fill out your form to collect $25 (or more.)
    -- you have a VISA, MasterCard, or Diners Club card as of November 8, 2006
    -- anytime from February 1, 1996 to November 8, 2006, you used a VISA, MasterCard or Diners Club credit or debit card to make foreign transaction 
    You may be entitled to a share of a settlement of $336 million.
    There are several ways of making a claim.  The simplest claim is for a $25 refund.  If you spent more than $2,500 in foreign transactions over than ten year period, you can fill out a longer form to claim for more. 
    Get the details here:

    Then fill out the proper form HERE -- if you didn't get a notice in the mail with a claim ID number on it (Gina got one, I did not), you don't need a notice to make a claim.  Just be prepared to disclose a credit card number and issuing bank for a card your had as of November 8, 2006.
    (I know that sounds daunting, giving up a credit card number like that, but this is for real.  The PD had an article today.  Even Snopes verified it.) 
    Personally, from 1996 to 2006, I made numerous international trips, and used credit cards abroad for purchases, and at home for international purchases (heck, Racket Records and Burning Shed alone got a bunch of my money over the years.)  Nevertheless, it may be more trouble than it is worth, to me anyway, to try and break all that down -- even though the terms of the settlement require card issuers to provide free statements (wherever they can be retrieved electronically -- which sounds like an out to me....)
    But at a minimum, I am going to make a claim for $25.
    to file a claim: May 30, 2008
    to object to the settlement or opt out of the class: February 14, 2008
    Disclaimer: None of the above constitutes legal advice.

    Comments on "You Are Probably in the Settlement Class for the Currency Conversion Class Action Lawsuit..."


    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 AM, December 11, 2007) : 

    Thank you...I submitted my form online....I've been out of the country approx. 35 days during that stated time frame. You'll get 10% of a finder's fee!


    Blogger Kate Anne said ... (5:50 PM, December 12, 2007) : 

    I got one of the claim letters and thought, yeah, sure, find the documentation. I did not see the $25 alternative. Thanks for the tip!


    post a comment