Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Friday, November 09, 2007

    I'm Wireless!

    I finally caved and bought a new laptop.  My desktop Dell PC is almost five years old.  Plus with all the commuting I've been doing lately, I needed some computing portability. 
     
    I don't mind saying I went cheap on it.  While my laptop shopping consisted of me walking into the Best Buy at Steelyard Commons last Friday during my lunchbreak and demanding that they bring me to their least expensive laptop (a Compaq Presario for a mere $399) -- it is actually a nice little machine.  Honestly, if I dropped two grand on a laptop, I'd be terrified of something happening to it.  At $399 it is almost, well, disposable.  Which really all laptops are, whether we'd like to admit it or not.
     
    Earlier this week I picked up a wireless router and last night I got it up and running.  I enjoyed surfing the net on my coffee table in front of the TV.  I have yet to see if I can sit in the backyard or the screen porch or the basement and get on the net, but I don't see why I wouldn't be able to. 
     
    I switched over to Cavtel for my internet about a month ago.  While the connection was a little touchy at first, it was working flawlessly with the new router.  And the new "cheap" PC surfs so much faster than my old desktop.  I suspect I'll be using the big old computer a lot less, even with its multiple hard drives, etc. 

    Yes, I did put security on my wireless network.  The neighbors will not be surfing on my connection.  Likewise my laptop picked up on three other networks in the area, all secured. 
     
    Best of all, with Gina's work and mine, we don't have to jockey over the internet connection now.  (At least not in our Cleveland home...guess I need to pick up one more router for our Cbus home...)

    Comments on "I'm Wireless!"

     

    Blogger Kate Anne said ... (7:45 AM, November 11, 2007) : 

    Congratulations on your new baby! I'm actually using a Compaq (with wireless capability) at my friend, Joan's place where I am dogsitting. Gotta take them out now, but I concur about the speed of surfing! Hugs!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 AM, November 12, 2007) : 

    Hey I'm a wireless compaq user myself and I paid 399 for it too (open box and a lazy store manager).

    I still use my self-made desktop plugged into the modem for some reason.

     

    post a comment