Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Thursday, October 11, 2007

    SuccessTech Shootings

    So, now the shooter's brother has been arrested. We don't know why, just yet. My guess is that he was involved in getting the shooter the firearm(s) he used.

    From the report:

    Coon, who was white, stood out in the predominantly black school for dressing in a goth style, wearing a black trench coat, black boots, a dog collar and chains, she said.

    Henderson, who is black, she said she didn't believe race played a role in the shootings.

    "He's crazy. He threatened to blow up our school. He threatened to stab everybody," said Doneisha LeVert, 14. "We didn't think nothing of it."

    Police believe Coon, wearing a Marilyn Manson shirt, black jeans and black nail polish, targeted the two teachers he shot Wednesday.

    Great. Across the country, all disenchanted goth kids are suspects once again. I look down at myself, sitting at this keyboard. I happened to wear all black today, black shirt, black jeans. My black coat hangs behind my door. I like wearing black. I don't paint my nails. I have only one Marilyn Manson CD. And none on my iPod -- a black iPod.

    Coon's troubles seemed to come to a breaking point this week. Students said Monday's fight was over God — Coon told his classmates he didn't believe in God and instead worshipped rocker Marilyn Manson.

    It just keeps getting better. In a matter of minutes, the Christianists will come flying out of their batcaves, saying that godless atheism caused all this. All other reasons and factors will fall away, and it will be all because he didn't let Jesus into his blackened little heart. And in a few days it will be back to sleepy normal.

    But here is the part that takes the cake:

    Also Thursday, a high school student said that he and classmates had warned their principal about Asa H. Coon, the 14-year-old suspect in the shootings.

    The student, Rasheem Smith, said on CBS' "Early Show" that despite their warnings about Coon, the principal, Johneita Durant, told them she was too busy.

    Smith, 15, said that the shooting may have been prevented, and that it was known Coon had a gun. "He was talking about doing it last week," he said.

    "I told my friends in the class that he had a gun and stuff," Smith said. "He was talking about doing it last week. I don't know why they didn't say nothing."

    I went to a couple of different high schools myself, and while the principal at the second high school could be aptly described as a douche nozzle, the principals at the first school, that inner-city Youngstown school, would not have sat on their hands if a student came up to them with something like this. I suspect that this principal has a side to the story that is considerably different, but if the students' account is in fact the case, this is a serious oversight. And it should not go without careful investigation, and appropriate sanctions.

    And where were the parents in all this? I tried to be one of those all black wearing kids, but my parents refused to let me dress like that. My parents weren't particularly harsh, far far from it. But I wasn't allowed to leave the house like that. And I'm not saying that the clothes make the kid. But if a parent can't even get a handle on that, what else are they failing to do?

    But that's ok, it won't be the parents fault either. It will be because the little SOB didn't love Jesus. Wait for it.

    Labels: , , , , , ,

    Comments on "SuccessTech Shootings"

     

    Blogger Kat said ... (4:58 PM, October 11, 2007) : 

    I found out about the shootings at dinner yesterday. I was with Joanie and the waitress was talking to the the table next to us. The guy, in his late 40s, asked the waitress if it was a "black school". The waitress answered back that it was. He then kinda laughed and proudly proclaimed "I knew it!! They are always doing this to themselves".

    What?

     

    Blogger aliasgrace said ... (6:24 PM, October 11, 2007) : 

    I can't say it would make a difference to me if my kid wanted to wear all black, a dog collar, and heavy eyeliner, as long as they were a good kid.

    And I wonder who the guy Kat sat next to was talking about. All the student shooters have been white so far. Am I misinformed about this?

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (9:48 AM, October 12, 2007) : 

    I am amazed every day by the opinions people hold. Read the newspaper you late 40s fuck. School shootings are rarely done by African American kids. Alias is right - but I think the VA Tech shooter was Asian.

    There is no rhyme or reason to why a kid would decide to do something like this. Trying to ascribe reason is a dead end. It isn't because of what they wear. It isn't because of what they write (VA Tech). It isn't because they don't believe in God.

    I don't believe in God either. I've never shot a gun. I don't want to ever touch a gun.

    I agree that there is a reason that the God thing was mentioned in this article.

     

    Blogger anne said ... (11:26 AM, October 12, 2007) : 

    People want there to be a reason. They look for it, and if they can't find it, they make it up. Gina is right, this was completely senseless. However, it does speak to a larger problem, and I agree with Audient that when these things have happened in the past, I immediately wondered, where were the parents? What are the parents doing?

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (11:42 AM, October 12, 2007) : 

    There was an article on cleveland.com today -- going over the family situation. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but it hardly seems surprising that this kid would end up cracking as he did. It seems like not only his family and parents failed him, but that the system failed to step in. Mr. B and I were talking about it yesterday, and he put it so succinctly -- someone, somewhere along the line, needed to give this kid a hug.

    I hope that four people he hurt recover fully.

     

    Anonymous bionurse said ... (12:35 PM, October 12, 2007) : 

    I find it painful that this kid was bullied. How many times does this have to happen before every teacher and school take bullying seriously? This seems to be the common thread. And so many reports from students saying he made threats.....sadly threats have to be taken seriously today and that must be taught as strongly as "don't help strangers look for the little lost dog..."

     

    Blogger Annette said ... (9:46 AM, October 13, 2007) : 

    There's really so much going on here:
    1. The parents should have had a better handle on the kid. How the hell did he ever get a gun and keep it in the first place?! Couldn't his parents see he was having bad problems?

    2. Bullying has to be stopped. I went to a Catholic grade school where I was the smart kid and those good little Catholic boys and girls picked on me incessantly. Kids can be so, so cruel... I didn't feel like going postal on them but I can see how if a kid felt like an outsider and were mentally ill that they might do just that. It's up to parents, teachers and good kids to stop bullying.

    3. What's with the Marilyn Manson worship anyway? I don't listen to him, generally because that's not my musical taste. I do listen to bands/artists like Porcupine Tree who sing about very dark topics. It evokes a certain feeling in me but that feeling certainly isn't murder! Yesterday I was listening to Morrissey's Big Mouth Strikes Again:

    "Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
    When I said I'd like to smash every tooth
    In your head

    Oh ... sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking
    When I said by rights you should be
    Bludgeoned in your bed"

    Great tune, love the lyrics... but I have the good sense to know not to bludgeon someone to death!

    So what is it about Manson? Can he make a statement, disclaimer to these kids to stop the 'worship'?

    Sorry to be so long winded, good post Michael!

     

    Blogger melcarrel said ... (11:20 AM, October 15, 2007) : 

    It did say that his home was unkempt, and that he and his mother verbally abused each other.

    You can yell at or talk to your child all you want when they misbehave, but they're still not going to listen. You have to act. That's where the whole discipline thing has gone wrong. People are so afraid to act, in case it appears as physical abuse, that they don't do anything, except maybe verbally reprimand.

     

    post a comment