Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Tuesday, October 30, 2007

    Having Your Social Security and Eating It Too

    This story about Hillary Clinton refusing to answer a question about social security from the podium, but then changing her answer when she met with the questioner privately, reminded me of something I witnessed back in early 1994 when Joel Hyatt ran U.S. Senator in Ohio.
     
    A friend of mine who was a recent grad of John Carroll University got me into a luncheon with candidate Hyatt.  There were maybe only about 20 of us, and except for my friend and me (and Hyatt), I think the people in attendance were all senior JCU faculty and administration. 
     
    Before that luncheon there was a speech followed by Q&A for the students.  One of the students asked Hyatt about gun control.  From the podium, Hyatt gave a fairly middle of the road answer, noncommital to any additional regulations or restrictions on gun ownership.  Afterwards, that same student approached him, while a few students and I listened in.  He sharpened his answer, favoring exploring additional retrictions while respecting the second amendment.  But at the luncheon, behind closed doors, while talking to one of the Jesuits, I heard him say that we had to find a way to get rid of all the guns. 
     
    The other thing I noticed about Mr. Hyatt was that he only picked at his grilled chicken caesar salad, but he ate every bite of his chocolate cake.  
     
    I knew then that he would not be our senator.  I know that moderating and finessing ones postions is hardly new among politicians running for office.  But you can't be so sloppy as to take three different positions within one hour in front of the likes of me. 
     
    And now Hillary is being sloppy and doing it. 
     
    Chocolate cake, anyone?   

    Comments on "Having Your Social Security and Eating It Too"

     

    Blogger anne said ... (12:23 PM, October 30, 2007) : 

    While I don't agree with being duplicitous about a candidate's platform, I do feel for Clinton. Simply being female has made her a huge target for many Americans. I think if I lived my life under the magnifying glass that she does, I'd be careful about what I say publicly too. Maybe she didn't think she would be able to appropriately present her stance in that forum.

     

    Blogger Mr. Bebout said ... (2:08 PM, October 30, 2007) : 

    Bullshit Anne. By implying and out based on her gender you make true all the things people say about the inability of a woman to be president. That she can't handle the pressure and so on and that is straight up bullshit.
    She is the front runner for the Democratic party and has been in the national and international lime light for nearly 20 years. She should have her platform solid, regardless of her sex. She wasn't prepared for a key issue and shame on her.
    Next people will be saying that Obama deserves a little ease when he nuts up a simple Q & A because after all he is just a black man.
    These people are running for President and should have the shit together all the time. We have been lulled into complacency by the current dullard and shame on us. If you need to get a refresher on how a president handles a Q & A review the Clinton deposition where he debated the definition of "is" and won.
    The president is supposed to be of the best of us. The president is supposed to be a shining example of what can be accomplished by an exceptional American.

     

    Blogger Eric said ... (3:09 PM, October 30, 2007) : 

    I'd never vote for anyone who said that she cheers for the Yankees *and* the Mets (or the Cubs). Make up your mind. Maybe she should have a chat with Rudy about that chocolate cake.

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (4:24 PM, October 30, 2007) : 

    i agree with dave here. "simply being female" gives credence to those who say that females are unable to handle public pressure, that they crumble during q&as, are too emotional etc. extend it to "why did she decide x?" "why did she do x?" "simply being female." that's all crap.

    don't be swayed by hillary. she has been in the public arena for years. her moves are calculated. she is a dyed-in-the-wool politician who won't challenge status quo because she has lived too long and too successfully within it. she bungled the q&a because she was challenged.

    personally, i don't give a shit that she's a woman front runner for president. her politics are establishment politics. look where that has gotten us.

     

    Blogger anne said ... (9:34 AM, October 31, 2007) : 

    I was not implying Hilary can't handle it because she's a woman. I was trying to say she gets more scrutiny because she's a woman. She handles herself like any other politician, but people watch her as if she's going to burst into a PMS rage any minute.

    And I DO think Obama is scrutinized more because he's a black man. You can't tell me that the two front-runners for the Democratic nomination are a woman and a black man, and that it's NOT an issue people are going to talk about.

    I like her. I like Obama. I'm still undecided about the two of them, but they are definitely my favorites.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (10:27 AM, October 31, 2007) : 

    I don't want to see the 2008 general election campaign be a rehash of everything from Vincent Foster to cattle futures to Whitewater to Monica Lewinski to the White House Travel Office to Hillary's failed national health care plan to arguing over whether Bill Clinton should have done something different about Bin Laden.

    I want this election to be about the future. That won't happen with Hillary as the nominee. She's smart enough and savvy enough to be an effective president, alright, but the baggage!

     

    Blogger anne said ... (12:50 PM, October 31, 2007) : 

    It's not like Obama or anyone else wouldn't have new problems to obsess over, like the "flag pin incident". It will be depressing to get mired in all that again, but I'm still hanging on. For now.

     

    Blogger Mr. Bebout said ... (1:54 PM, October 31, 2007) : 

    I agree MDB. She does have baggage. I doubt she still has PMS but baggage from a life spen in politics.

     

    Blogger anne said ... (3:19 PM, October 31, 2007) : 

    Of course, now she'll have menopause to go along with the baggage.

     

    Anonymous Evil John said ... (10:18 PM, October 31, 2007) : 

    "Bowman said of Senator Clinton, “It made me wonder, if a candidate won’t answer a question on the campaign trail, how can we be sure she’ll be honest with the American people when they’re president?”"

    Hahahaha!

    I'm not so certain that people do really get the government they deserve. I do think, though, that they get the media/reporting they pay for: Nothing less, nothing more. But especially nothing more.

     

    post a comment