Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Wednesday, September 26, 2007

    Whine about Wine

    File this one under government limiting our rights yet again. 
     
    Apparently, the state of Ohio is implementing a new law limiting mail order wine in Ohio. 
     
     
    The new law bans direct shipping of wine to Ohio consumers by wineries that produce more than 150,000 gallons of wine per year (roughly 63,000 cases.)
     
    You can thank Ohio's Wineries and their lobby for this. 
     
    While I do enjoy a little Ohio wine now and then, it is a different experience than the wines I've gotten through the mail. 
     
    What really sucks is, unlike the strip club law, this didn't get even a minute of public debate.  Apparently, this just was slipped into the state budget. 
     
    But like the strip club law, it is just another example of the State of Ohio overreaching.  Of what state interest is it if I order a bottle of wine through the mail from a site like this one ?  Who am I hurting?  Am I really hurting Ohio wineries?  Tell me -- if I want a bottle of Pinot Noir from a midsized California winery -- one with a larger production than 63,000 cases per year -- but not so large that their wine is in my local store, am I going to buy an Ohio wine instead?  Of course not.  No Ohio winery has ever made a decent Pinot Noir that I've ever tasted.  Other wines, certainly, but not that.
     
    Despite that, Ohio's wineries think protectionism will nurture their vineyards:
     
    Donniella Winchell, executive director of the Ohio Wine Producers Association, which also pushed for the ban, said the bill protects Ohio's wine industry, allowing it to continue to grow.

    "We viewed this somewhat as a jobs bill," she said.

    When I read crap like that, I feel like I've had my last bottles of Debonne and Ferrante. 
     

    Comments on "Whine about Wine"

     

    Anonymous rbh said ... (9:12 PM, September 26, 2007) : 

    My best quote was:

    "It was not supposed to apply to consumers," Rep. Matthew Dolan, a Russell Township Republican and chairman of the House Finance Committee, said Tuesday. "

    Who was it supposed to apply?

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (7:42 AM, September 27, 2007) : 

    with a few notable exceptions, i've had my last bottles of debonne and ferrante as well, but for reasons of taste.

    "When it came back from the Senate, I probably didn't read it as closely as I should have."

    HAHAHA!!

    I love when folks use the "harmful to minors" saw when they know their argument is weak.

    "Well!" "Well!" Harumph. "We are protecting the children......somehow!"

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (7:45 AM, September 27, 2007) : 

    What are the stats on minors ordering clandestine wine from midsized wineries in California?

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (9:36 AM, September 27, 2007) : 

    How many minors have their own credit cards and can get a package delivered without their parents knowing about it?

     

    Blogger Kate Anne said ... (9:38 AM, September 27, 2007) : 

    Your comments should be sent to the Ashtabula papers (I hope the Beacon and Free Press still exist) so that Debonne and Ferrante can SEE your thoughts. Guess this will impact my ever sending you wine gifts. ARGH!!

    Tell them to ban or limit Chinese items in favor of Ohio workers.

     

    Blogger jessica said ... (8:40 PM, September 27, 2007) : 

    actually you should just befriend a wine rep... the non-ohio wines flow freely!

     

    post a comment