Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Tuesday, September 11, 2007

    Tuesday Talkback

    The PD did not upload this week's Monday Moaning to cleveland.com -- so no Talkback today.

    So let's talk about those Browns.

    So many things at play here. Why are other teams able to improve, but not our team?

    Take Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage. They are both talented men. Maybe the Peter Principle has come into play. Romeo is talented, but not talented enough to be a head coach. Phil Savage is talented at evaluating talent, but not talented enough to be a general manager. They have both risen beyond their competence.

    We cannot be surprised that no QB is ready to play. Throughout the preseason, Romeo refused to commit to any of them. No one got settled into the role. Everyone plays so ... tentatively. And when each snap, each possession might be your last, when you have no comfort in your position, how are you supposed to play confidently?

    That said, think Charlie Frye has had his chance. At least here. I don't know what to make of Anderson -- for that one drive he looked good. The team actually looked like a football team.

    And Brady Quinn can't really be ready to take over. Ideally he sits on the bench and watches for a few more weeks or the whole season. But this is not an ideal situation. Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman both started immediately. They lost a lot of games, but they learned as the starter. Ben Rothlisberger started almost immediately, and won a bunch of games. I do agree that once you put BQ in, there is no going back.

    But the QB problem is a symptom of a much larger problem. The team has no experience at the top -- not the right kind of experience anyway. Romeo has five Super Bowl rings, but none as a head coach. Phil has copious experience as a scout and evaluator of talent, but there is so much more to managing a team than that. Even Randy Lerner is inexperienced as a team owner. We are flummoxed as to what to do with the Browns, and the problem is they are flummoxed too.

    I am glad I sold my season tickets this year -- this would have been too painful to go down to the stadium and watch all season -- if Sunday's game is any indication. The Browns made the Steelers look much better than they really are. And the Steelers new coach, Mike Tomlin, and Romeo Crennel now share this statistic -- as head coaches they are tied in number of wins versus AFC North opponents. Tomlin has won one in one week as a head coach; Romeo has won one going into his third year as a head coach.

    As for selling my tickets, I've been told that I am a fair weather fan. Yeah, I've gone to just about every home game since 1999, and NOW I am a fair weather fan. We haven't had any fair weather to be a fan of, and there is little sign that will change any time soon. This team is wandering in the desert, it has been since 1999, and arguably it has been since 1964. You have to be about 50 or older to have any memory of the Browns winning it all. I barely remember Brian Sipe, and the Browns of my youth were Kosar, Newsome, Brennan, Slaughter, Mack and those teams. Teenagers today know only about having no team, or this reconstituted team. Why would they root for them? Even the Arizona Cardinals have a brighter future today.

    Labels: , ,

    Comments on "Tuesday Talkback"

     

    Blogger Mr. Bebout said ... (9:12 AM, September 11, 2007) : 

    I am new to watching the Browns. I was not a fan of football in general as a youth. I remember the 80's team and their almost winning with a cool dispassion. What I don't understand why the Browns can't come up with an almost winning season again. Could you imagine the excitement in town if they eeked out a 500 season?
    But as it stands they stink and look to be all geared up to stink some more. They remind me of a harried mother of 6 in a minivan on the shoreway at 5:07 PM on Friday trying to figure out how to get to MLK while on the cell phone to her aged mother-in-law.

     

    Blogger anne said ... (9:33 AM, September 11, 2007) : 

    Nice visual Bebout. I couldn't agree more with your dissection of the problems, Audient. Everyone is so tentative and unsure, no one wants to commit to any one course of action. It's so heartbreaking. I was on the Innerbelt as the crowd was going home, and I was so sad for all the fans with their buses and vans painted orange and brown, and then hearing the score on the radio.

     

    Blogger Medical said ... (9:37 AM, September 11, 2007) : 

    Hi,

    This blog is very good and informative.
    Ecommerce Solutions
    Free Directory

    khan

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (9:38 AM, September 11, 2007) : 

    I guess they may be resigning Ken Dorsey today. Well, let's see how that goes. Maybe Dorsey starts a couple games and turns the reins over to BQ.

     

    Blogger monsieur le coq said ... (10:20 AM, September 11, 2007) : 

    i still have faith. i guess i always blindly have...and always will. call it pie-eyed naivite. call it an attempt to revisit childhood memories. i watch each week and hope that this will be the week when it will all turn around. that this week will be just like that of the cardiac kids of 1980: after losing the first two games embarrassingly, they will win the next two by pure determination and serendipity, finish the season 11-5, every win seemingly snatched from the jaws of defeat in the closing seconds of each game. my dad and i high-5'd and cheered, threw socks at the tv and booed, ate doritos and pork rinds, and drank pepsi-cola straight from the 32-ounce glass returnable bottles. go sipe! go ozzie! clay! RIP HIS HEAD OFF, ALZADO!! logan in the flat! rucker on the fade! the pruitts: mike up the gut and greg bouncing to the corner!

    i hope to feel that way again one day. hopefully sunday.

     

    Blogger Kristen said ... (11:57 AM, September 11, 2007) : 

    I am ashamed at Ray's shameless nostalgia, not just because I find it unmasculine but especially because just yesterday he admitted to me that as a child he wrote an essay about how he wanted to be, not a football player or football coach, but a football itself. I don't think footballs can feel nostalgia Ray.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (12:15 PM, September 11, 2007) : 

    I enjoyed Ray's nostalgia. As for my own.... I remember being the killjoy at the party for the AFC championship game when I was the first one in the room to realize that Byner had dropped the ball before he crossed the goalline. The whole rest of the room was celebrating what seemed to have been a touchdown...

    Wow, wikipedia even has an entry on this....

    THE FUMBLE

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (3:28 PM, September 11, 2007) : 

    and the Charlie Frye era comes to a close...

    oh boy, this is like watching a road accident.

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (4:46 PM, September 11, 2007) : 

    and they bring in Dorsey who would have been, what, fourth string? a guaranteed winner.

    im glad you sold the tix too. i wouldnt have been able to bear another set of games, freezing our asses off, sleet hanging from my hair, so cold that you feel like a glacier is running in your veins, only to have them lose. miserably. decisively.

     

    Anonymous Stephanie said ... (4:50 PM, September 11, 2007) : 

    I grew up in a family where you either learned to appreciate football or risked having things thrown at you if you walked in front of the television on a Sunday afternoon. I chose the former, and I can remember sitting with my dad and having him explain the game to me when I was little.

    I tried being a Buffalo Bills fan for a while (throughout the "we can get to the Super Bowl but just can't win" years) and my family nearly disowned me. Now, even though the Browns break my heart every season, I can't help but face this time of year with a bit of optimism and hope that "this year it could be different."

    After Sunday, though, that hope is sinking in a fashion similar to the Titanic. **sigh**

     

    post a comment