Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Tuesday, September 25, 2007

    Open Letter to My Stalker

    Earlier this year, I received at work two packages of books from book clubs (including the Military Book Club) and a couple of magazine subscriptions -- all unsolicited by me. When I contacted them, they all said the same thing -- that someone had placed the order in my name, either by mailing in a card, or on the internet (supplying an email address that was not mine). In all instances, these merchants were very cooperative and I was charged nothing. The book clubs sent prepaid boxes for the return of the books. The magazines quickly stopped.

    They also went over some other information about how the orders were placed that gave me a pretty good idea of who may be responsible. But rather than pursuing the matter, I just let it drop.

    Fast forward to today: I received a package from Crossings Book Club, which is affiliated with the previous book clubs, and is their Christian themed book club. I received three books on bible study and Christian spirtuality, and Nutrition for Dummies. I called once again and explained the situation. Once again, the account opened in my name has been credited and cancelled, costing me nothing but a five minute phone call. Someone mailed in a card with my name on it to place the order. The very helpful Crossings representative told me I could keep the books, give them away or donate them to a library, whatever I wanted. Minimal effort on my part to resolve the matter -- and again, an innocent merchant takes a hit due to someone else's childish stunt.

    So, to my dear stalker, whatever problem you have with me -- instead of being a coward, stealing my identity to cause businesses to lose money with your fraudulent orders -- why don't you address me directly? Or better yet, just go away and stay away. If you are so happy with your life now, why are you hanging on to the resentment? And if you aren't happy with your life, doing these things isn't going to make things better.

    Comments on "Open Letter to My Stalker"

     

    Blogger Kat said ... (10:19 AM, September 25, 2007) : 

    Quite frankly, I just thought you would enjoy the books! Geez.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (10:31 AM, September 25, 2007) : 

    haha, thanks.

    I could realize a tax deduction if I donate the books to charity, so despite the nonsense, I could actually come out ahead.

     

    Blogger Kristen said ... (11:49 AM, September 25, 2007) : 

    You could regift them as wedding gifts? Jamie and I will be attending...

     

    Blogger Mr. Bebout said ... (11:57 AM, September 25, 2007) : 

    What a weak stalker though right? In someone's cracked mind sending you books is a real gotcha. If I were going to stalk you I would do something dasteredly, like sign you up for a beer of the month club membership.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (12:34 PM, September 25, 2007) : 

    Or leave some critter to die in the garage...

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (4:28 PM, September 25, 2007) : 

    or be the critter in the garage. the small-feced stalker.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 AM, September 26, 2007) : 

    Is the stalker who I think it is?

    C.

     

    Blogger James said ... (1:02 PM, September 26, 2007) : 

    Kristen and I will be getting tan during thanksgiving. I will return them for you, michael.

     

    post a comment