Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Tuesday, August 07, 2007

    Touchdown Jesus is NOT a statue, and another thing...

    Dear Phillip Morris:

    I read your column today regarding Brady Quinn. Notre Dame's "Touchdown Jesus" is not a statue. It is mural on the side of the university library by the stadium. They call it "Touchdown Jesus" because Jesus is raising his arms up to heaven in the mural, but the mural can be seen from inside the stadium, and with just a little imagination, he appears to be signalling a touchdown.

    A picture of the mural as seen from inside Notre Dame's stadium can be viewed here: http://trojanwire.com/images/touchdown_jesus.jpg

    Also, your column the other day about sagging pants on young men -- it is too bad that instead of researching the urban legend about sagging pants being a signal to other inmates that one is available for gay sex, you instead perpetuated this gay-baiting myth. How is it gay-baiting? Because this myth is used, in essence, to tell young men that they better pull up their pants or people will think they're gay.

    You can read about the urban legend here: http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp

    SImply because you write commentary, you are not relieved of conducting a little research. You can come up with your own opinions, but not your own facts. It wouldn't have taken much research to have avoided these errors.

    Audient

    http://audientfiles.blogspot.com/

    Comments on "Touchdown Jesus is NOT a statue, and another thing..."

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (11:44 AM, August 07, 2007) : 

    I'm glad that you wrote him. It took 30 seconds of research to find the mural and the urban legend. Plain Dealer columists are usually disappointing but c'mon Phillip, at least put the facts down on paper and worry about your shoddy styling in the second edit. Or does Phillip not edit? And does the copy editor not fact check or edit?

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (11:55 AM, August 07, 2007) : 

    Maybe Sam Fulwood is editing Philip's columns, adding falsehoods in an effort to seek revenge.

    I've got nothing against Phillip Morris. I hope he improves. But if he doesn't, I hope they don't keep him around as long as they did Fulwood.

     

    Blogger anne said ... (2:15 PM, August 07, 2007) : 

    I love these smackdown posts, Audient. I think whenever you do one like this, you should include an audio of someone getting slapped. Or a whip cracking, or something equally as cheesy. It always comes to mind when I read your stuff anyway.

    Stupid Brady Quinn. I'm tired of him being a punk bitch and holding out on the Browns. Fuck him and his extra $500,000 anyway. Could the Browns please find a quarterback who isn't a crying whining diva???

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (3:34 PM, August 07, 2007) : 

    he emailed me back:

    Michael,
    appreciate the email. Trust me, I've heard from a ton of fighting Irish this morning in regards to the mural. As for the origin of sagging, there are at least a dozen theories in circulation, some saying the fashion actually came out of the great depression. Anyway, thanks for taking the time.
    best,
    phil

    so... I responded:

    Phil,

    Re: sagging

    A long discredited email forward that originated around 2003 is hardly a "theory."

    After putting it out there in your column, you wrote, "I don't know if the theory is true or not." Given that with just a little effort you could have determined that it wasn't true, putting it out there as you did was sloppy and lazy.

    I read the paper to learn the news of the day, and I read the opinion columnists to get some perspectives on that news. I don't have to agree with those opinions, and I even prefer to be challenged by a point of view I do not share. But there is no challenge where the columnist can't be bothered with the facts. I expect uninformed opinions from the occupants of barstools, not on the front of the Metro section.

    Michael

     

    Blogger Christine said ... (8:18 PM, August 07, 2007) : 

    It bothers me when writers, who get paid for writing, don't use proper grammar and capitalization in email. It makes me feel affronted, somehow.

    As a librarian, it bothers me double when people who get paid for "telling it like it is" don't bother to check the facts.

    Go you, Audient. GO YOU.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:38 PM, August 08, 2007) : 

    Christine:

    You wrote: "It bothers me when writers, who get paid for writing, don't use proper grammar and capitalization in email."

    Your commas after "writers" and "writing" are incorrect. The clause here is essential. Inserting commas makes it seem as if all writers get paid for their writing.

    Although I wish everyone followed the rules of grammar all the time, it's just too much to ask, even for professional writers. In other words, I think it's OK if a cop sometimes drives over the speed limit on his or her way home.

     

    Blogger Tim said ... (8:44 AM, August 15, 2007) : 

    You are my hero. Thank you for calling him out on the sagging-pants phenom. Perhaps this will help him to, slowly I'm sure, realize that he has a tendency to be a bit homophobic in his writing.

     

    post a comment