Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Monday, August 13, 2007

    Old Technology -- Failed

    This weekend I rescued from storage a large Rubbermaid tub full of audio cassette tapes. Most of them were dubs I had made years ago. I was interested in locating them since the Saabcar has a tape deck. Even though I run the iPod through the tape deck, I thought it would be nice to have some tapes in the car too.

    But also, I thought it might be fun to make a mix tape -- like the old days! Mixed in with my tapes was an unopened Maxell type II high bias tape. I still have my Sony double tape deck, complete with Dolby B, C and S. I got out some patch cords, hooked it up, and planned to do it up old style.

    The ancient tape deck had other plans. I picked it up in the mid-90s, and hadn't used it in years. It was fine tape deck in its day -- I don't think they got much better than this. But when I put my Nirvana Nevermind dub in the player to try it out, the tape heads engaged and the dock locked up. I can't even eject the tape. I tried the other bay, which is playback only, dropping in my Primus Tales from the Punch Bowl dub, and it promptly locked up too.

    It probably isn't worth fixing. I hate the idea of buying a new tape deck. Probably won't. Got all these tapes, but no tape deck -- except in the Saabcar of course. I'm just glad I didn't test the deck with anything irreplaceable, like my Peat Moss, Tab South, Sound Mind, Derek Wolfgram, or Escaped Fetal Pigs tapes -- or any of the original tapes of the midi compositions I did back in 80s -- all of which were in that tub of tapes.

    Comments on "Old Technology -- Failed"

     

    Anonymous jbnimble said ... (2:17 PM, August 13, 2007) : 

    On the off-chance this is of interest... Several years back, I was worried about my tapes from BG... I digitally converted my Positive Sweat, my Tom Gorman, and my Derek Wolfgram tapes. They all reside in my iTunes and on my iPod. Might you be wanting some?

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (2:31 PM, August 13, 2007) : 

    uh, yeah!

    I would like to jam to Sensitive Guy, God's T-Shirt, New World Order Limousine, Love and Kiwi, and Greeks Outside My Window on my iPod, please.

     

    Blogger anne said ... (3:06 PM, August 13, 2007) : 

    Case media services does that stuff for free (I think) if you work here. They will also transfer your VHS videos to DVD.

    Now, if only you knew someone who worked at Case...

    I also have a duel tape deck on my stereo at home, so if you decide you still want to make a mix tape, you are welcome to try it out. I haven't used it probably since I bought the stereo.

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (3:57 PM, August 13, 2007) : 

    and i have some stuff on CD from bands I knew at Case. all quality tunes about ex girlfriends, drinking, drunk dialing ex girlfriends, and regret. i havent played them in years because i bought the CDs out of pity.

    we can suffer through them together.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (6:48 AM, August 14, 2007) : 

    Gina, no.

     

    Blogger esc said ... (1:34 PM, August 16, 2007) : 

    got an old Sony single laying around the house if you just want it.

    (verification word:
    cxixcizl = see-ziz-see-isl
    boiy)

     

    Anonymous mdc said ... (8:47 PM, August 16, 2007) : 

    I'm honored, but I guarantee Tab South is not irreplaceable. I'm sure there are boxes upon boxes of unsold CDs and tapes lying around. I can vouch for that personally!

     

    post a comment