Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Wednesday, July 11, 2007

    Hold Your Fire

    I was thrilled to look out my window this morning and see rain.  It was not enough rain, to be sure.  Looking out now I see it has stopped raining, but the sky is gray, so here's hoping for more!  It has been so dry the last few weeks.  My lawn, everyone's lawn, looked like straw by this last weekend.  I've been watering since the weekend, so I've gotten some green back -- I hate to think what my water bill will look like. 
     
    That's the funny thing about drought here.  It hasn't rained, but it isn't like we aren't next to one of the largest sources of fresh water in the world.  We aren't going to go thirsty. 
     
    On the ride in, I felt strangely chipper and energized.  I had this sudden urge to play "Tai Shan" off of Hold Your Fire.  If I were to rank all Rush songs, Tai Shan would probably be in the fifth.  But I just wanted to hear it, and I sang along in the car on the ride in.
     
    I then started selecting all of the deep tracks off of Hold Your Fire, like High Water, Open Secrets, Second Nature.  Hold Your Fire is almost 20 years old this year, and is probably still one of the more maligned Rush albums.  Even fans of the band complain that there is too much synth, that the sound is too clean, that it doesn't really rock.  They still debate the addition of Aimee Mann on a couple of the tracks.  But I say that even the deep tracks off of Hold Your Fire are better than most of the new album, Snakes & Arrows. 

    And the lyrics really speak to me.
     
    The point of a journey is not to arrive -- anything can happen!
     

    Comments on "Hold Your Fire"

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (9:33 AM, July 11, 2007) : 

    I like what I heard of Aimee Mann on the Magnolia soundtrack.

    "It's not going to stop
    'Til you wise up."

    I listened to Radiohead's Amnesiac album on the way in.

     

    Blogger MrsTito said ... (10:13 AM, July 11, 2007) : 

    I listed to Laurie Berkner. If you're not familiar, she's known for "Pig on Her Head", "Buzz Buzz" and "Monster Boogie". Yep, having a 3 year old is fun : )

     

    Blogger Matt said ... (10:43 AM, July 11, 2007) : 

    I malign Hold Your Fire on a regular basis. It just seems very sterile, almost Rush-by-numbers, and the lyrics are often like a bad imitation of Neil.

    The new album isn't spectacular, but I do enjoy most of it. The instrumentals don't grab me, though; they're kinda flabby, no real muscle or oomph to them.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (2:54 PM, July 11, 2007) : 

    Even I have referred to HYF as having a sterile and antiseptic sound.

    As for the new album, the whole thing just sorta sits there. It isn't just the instrumentals that are flabby. Everything is down tempo. Nothing really drives, except for Far Cry and MalNar. And not even them really.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (3:06 PM, July 11, 2007) : 

    But "bad imitation of Neil" goes to the lyrics for Test for Echo. If I never again hear the line:

    "Astronauts in the weightlessness of pixellated space / Exchange graffiti with a disembodied race"

    -- that would be ok by me.

     

    Blogger anne said ... (3:56 PM, July 11, 2007) : 

    So, Rush is a band, then? I've never heard of them. Are they good?

    hahahahhaha!!

     

    Blogger anne said ... (3:57 PM, July 11, 2007) : 

    Ahem. I apologize for that brief moment of over-caffeination.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (8:20 AM, July 12, 2007) : 

    Anne, funny you should ask:

    http://www.rushisaband.com/

     

    Blogger Matt said ... (12:19 AM, July 15, 2007) : 

    Except for Driven and Resist, I pretend that TfE doesn't exist.

    Hey, that rhymed--maybe I'm a bad imitation of Neil too :)

     

    post a comment