Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Wednesday, June 13, 2007

    Rush Opening Night Set List, Snakes & Arrows Tour -- Atlanta, 6/13/07

    This just in from Atlanta ... Opening night on the Rush Snakes & Arrows tour, and here is the set list:

    Limelight
    Digital Man
    Entre Nous
    Mission
    Free Will
    The Main Monkey Business
    The Larger Bowl
    Secret Touch
    Circumstances
    Between The Wheels
    Dreamline

    INTERMISSION

    Far Cry
    Working Them Angels
    Armor and Sword
    Spindrift
    The Way The Wind Blows
    Subdivisions
    Natural Science
    Witch Hunt
    Malignant Narcissism
    Drum Solo
    Hope
    Summertime Blues
    The Spirit of Radio
    Tom Sawyer

    ENCORE

    One Little Victory
    A Passage to Bangkok
    YYZ

    * * *

    Nine songs off of the new album. About one third of the whole show! Damn, I wish I liked S&A a little more!

    But... some fantastic classic tunes! Including some I've never heard live!

    Digital Man, Entre Nous, Mission, Circumstances, Witch Hunt and Passage to Bangkok! I am very excited about those! And I love that Between the Wheels is back!

    Yeah, maybe I wish they'd drop a couple of the newer ones -- and work in a couple of other oldies...

    But I am overall pleased with this set list! (Except maybe 5 songs in a row from the new album to open the second set.)

    Now the question is, will they change it up over the tour? I won't be seeing them till August. I wonder if they'll have changed it around by then...

    In a way, I hope they don't. Unless they rotate different songs in on a night to night basis. Because when I see three shows in row in August, then maybe I'll see things rotate in and out.

    But last tour, they didn't change the set list at all. And the tour before that, they had a couple songs that would alternate on certain nights, and a couple that got swapped in and out later in the tour.

    Still, I am looking forward to this show. I hope that the new album grows on me so I'll enjoy the new songs... Otherwise the five songs that open the second set is a VERY long bathroom break.

    Labels:

    Comments on "Rush Opening Night Set List, Snakes & Arrows Tour -- Atlanta, 6/13/07"

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM, June 17, 2007) : 

    Rush never changes their set list mid-tour. The show is a complex production with no parallels in the industry that I'm aware of. From the instruments, to the lights, to the video, to the sequencer and sampler triggers, everything is completely orchestrated and choreographed. It is such a tight and demanding production that there is little, if any, room for changes.

    No, what you get in a Rush concert is as close a duplication to the studio recordings as possible and an almost completely identical experience from night to night.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 PM, June 25, 2007) : 

    Rush has definitely changed their set list slightly during past tours. VERY SLIGHTLY. Alternating a song here and there, as the first poster ("Spoiler") stated.

    Coming from someone with 50 shows under his belt.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 AM, June 27, 2007) : 

    What about the European shows? Last time I saw Rush was on the Signals tour, er yea I know but I liked the look of the list and will have plenty of time to get used to the new material by October

     

    Blogger beezer0112 said ... (12:39 PM, June 28, 2007) : 

    Just saw them last nite, in Boston, MA! Identical setlist...the set of 5 S&A songs in a row was one of my favorite parts of the show, I love the album - it's sort of a new vibe for them, but you have to admit it's very listenable, and more relaxed and easygoing than the last couple of albums have been, though it does tackle some deep lyrical subject matter. Also loved "Secret Touch", I never felt that that song really rocked before last night. And of course, the classics/surprises were really great too, all the ones mentioned above - Between the Wheels, ...Natural Science...you can't beat this stuff!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 PM, July 02, 2007) : 

    Why No 2112, or Xanadu. I'm glad I did not attend the Atlanta Show. Very surprised about Entre Nous, and Digital Man. What You're Doing would have been great, along with something from Caress Of Steel. Something For Nothing would have been fantastic. I was eager to listen to Nobody's Hero on the set though, and other songs from Counterparts.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 PM, July 02, 2007) : 

    Camera Eye would have been great. I still would have wanted Neil to have the drum solo in YYZ identical to Exit...Stage Left. In my opinion they played too much Snakes And Arrows. Far Cry And Hope were okay though. The South Park Video in the show was hilarious.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:43 PM, July 02, 2007) : 

    Some complain about Neil Peart's "Oh So Boring" solos- well im here to tell you hes the best there ever was and forever will-according to Drummerworld
    1. NEIL PEART
    2.John Bonham
    3.Keith Moon
    4.Alex Van Halen
    5.Ian Paice
    Thank You For Agreeing

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 PM, July 02, 2007) : 

    Alex Lifeson is the most underrated guitarist of all time


    1. Eddie Van Halen
    2. Jimmy Page
    3. Tony Iommi
    4. ALEX LIFESON
    5. Randy Rhoads ( Im sorry but his riffs are insane )

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 PM, July 02, 2007) : 

    RUSH may not be the most famous rock band of all time, but give them some credit for being one of the best instrumental bands ever. Listen to songs like YYZ, La Villa Strangiato, Leave That Thing Alone, and The Main Monkey Business, and you will see they rank with Van Halen, The Who, Chicago, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and ACDC.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 AM, July 03, 2007) : 

    I just saw Rush at Jones Beach, Wantagh,Ny 07/02/07. The show was amazingly Outstanding. From old classics that really get you moving to the new S&A stuff. A great set. It was though, exactly the set printed on top of the page. It still amazes me how great these 3 men really are. Check it out. A real Rush fan will not be dissapointed.

     

    Blogger beezer0112 said ... (5:58 PM, July 03, 2007) : 

    Not to mention that we (true Rush fans) pretty much have to go to every tour nowadays, since we don't know how many we have left...oh and they sound just as good playing as they ever did. They are freaking awesome. The bass lines in Natural Science are sick, and Geddy nails them with finesse, just for example. They're in their upper 50's, and they sound just as good as ever, and still do crazy amounts of shows, all over the world. That is something to be respected and appreciated. I have so much love for these three guys, who have made so much of my life so much more enjoyable.

    Stay open-minded. They still have things to say with their music, which may be different than what they had to say 30+ years ago. Hmm, I wonder why they played 9 S&A songs...maybe they like the songs? Yep probably, so try to stay with it...Rush does...Neil does, even after all he's been through in his life.

    Sorry - it pisses me off when people are like "Why didn't they play so and so or such and such." Let them play whatever the #@$! they want to play. They've given us enough over the years, that they would have quit or started sucking by now if they were any other band. But actually they are still making rocking music anyway, and still reinventing themselves.

    But you know, if you don't wanna go, don't go. More room for us!

     

    Blogger beezer0112 said ... (6:04 PM, July 03, 2007) : 

    One more word: Spindrift.

    oops! :o

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM, July 04, 2007) : 

    Saw them at Jones Beach [7/2/07], great set...digital man at #2 OMFG! Bangkok in the encore...who would of thought! I remember watching clips of the R30 [the intro vide] with the Jerry guy saying "I hope they play Bangkok...ahhh they never play bangkok..." Well they did and it was amazing!! BTW Neil's new solo...totally awesome! Alex has still got the groove with the solos. I loved how they took back in time, with stuff from Rush, and Hemispheres. Got to love the oldies but goodies!! Overall...amazing show. Have tickets again for the show on 9/17/07 at Madison Square [the end of the North American tour]...can not wait to see what stops they pull out then!!!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 AM, July 05, 2007) : 

    Actually, although Rush is a very "tight" live act, they do change their set-list mid tour from time to time. For instance, they did not add Ghost of a Chance during the Roll the Bones tour until half way through it.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 AM, July 05, 2007) : 

    I just saw them at darien lake on the 4th. They did chang one song. Took out Summertime Blues and inserted Distant Early Warning. Great show and gret new album

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 AM, July 05, 2007) : 

    I was at Darien Lake as well. Someone near us had a song set and I was looking forward to Summertime Blues, but the show was phenomenal! Took my 15 year old son and his 16 year old friend! I said to someone the other day you know your're world's come full circle when you get into your car and there is a RUSH CD in the player, and you didn't put it there.

    Going to see them again in September in Toronto, and don't want to wish the summer away, but can't wait!

    I don't know anything about playing the drums, but Peart is unbelievable!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 PM, July 06, 2007) : 

    Can't wait to see them in Birmingham UK in October. I think S&A is the best album since Counterparts by a country mile. I have two other tickets for Birmingham that are for sale at face value, not great seats but at least you will be there.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM, July 07, 2007) : 

    Had the pleasure of seeing Rush twice within the past week. Saratoga NY June 30th and Darien Lakes, NY July 4th. Only a very slight difference in play list as far as I can tell.
    Darien Lakes show they did not play Summer Time Blues but did play Distant Early Warning. Thinking about seeing them again Aug 30 in Cleveland.
    Love the S & A album.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 PM, July 07, 2007) : 

    I agree that they should play the songs they feel are best for them, but where in the world was The Pass. I mean that was one of their favorite songs according to Geddy. Loved Bangkok.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM, July 09, 2007) : 

    My husband and I rocked out at the June 30th show in Saratoga. It is the best show I have ever attended...How can 3 people create such a dynamic, amazing, complex, symphony? Rush is rockin' and -totally under-rated all around- Here is hoping for another 25 tours!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM, July 09, 2007) : 

    I love Snakes & Arrows-the acoutstic is a wonderful, inventive change of pace. My 9 month old loves it too!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 PM, July 09, 2007) : 

    I saw them Sunday in NJ & they rocked!! I anticipated them playing mostly Snakes & Arrows stuff because that's what they did with Roll the Bones, so I bought the CD & listened to it a lot. I thought the drum solo was great. I brought my 14 year old son & he was rightfully impressed. In closing I give it a big thumbs up.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 PM, July 09, 2007) : 

    What can I say... the boys are second to none. Enough said. The Saratoga show was awesome, as usual.

     

    Anonymous Neil Aspinall said ... (9:46 AM, July 11, 2007) : 

    Hey Rushkidoodle fans, I first saw the band live in the UK on their Moving Pictures tour (twice) and have seen them twice on every UK tour they've done since (I fell out with them for a while when they didn't come over), the shows were very basic then but as good then as they are now!! Neil

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM, July 22, 2007) : 

    Saw them last night at the Clark County Amphitheatre in Vancouver WA. The show was good and they sounded great. I was however disappointed that they did not play more of the old stuff including 2112. I cannot take anything away from RUSH they were great, but I think a lot of people came to here them play the old stuff!

     

    Anonymous fernando mtz said ... (1:17 PM, July 28, 2007) : 

    this suks! weres 2112, Working Man, not even The Trees. im kinda dissapointed. =[

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 PM, July 30, 2007) : 

    I think many listeners love hearing the old stuff...including yours truely. I do like the mix of the new stuff, however, too much of the new stuff may be unecessary for a band with such a large song base. I do understand how Rush can get tired of playing the same old hits or "favorites". 2112 for example has gone through it's appearances over the years and my guess Rush would probably prefer to add a few different ones into the mix. What would be great is a swarm of oldies never played before. From what I've read, they have attempted to add a few here. Rush has always done a good job of throwing in a few surprises.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM, July 31, 2007) : 

    saw them last night.. that set list was almost correct... they didnt play summertime blues or hope

     

    Blogger dman2112 said ... (10:48 PM, August 01, 2007) : 

    I am going to the Chicago show and can't wait to see'em again, I agree with beezer0112, these guys have been treating us with great music for over 30 Yrs so who cares what they play, just so we can still be honored to even see them Live after all these years, I have enjoyed every show that I've seen from our Canadian friends.
    PS. Snake & Arrows is a very refreshing sound for the boys from the Great White North! be glad to hear it Live.
    Dman2112(iowa)

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 PM, August 07, 2007) : 

    Saw the August 3rd show in Concord, amazing!!! They did play Distant Early Warning instead of Summertime Blues..

    Played my three favorite Rush tunes ever - Entre Nous, Between the Wheels and Subdivisions. Had second row dead center, I can die happy now.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:22 PM, August 07, 2007) : 

    saw thenm last uk tour at wembley and nec birmingham changed set between shows. can't wait till october 2007 seeing them three times this tour. first saw them in 1977 on first uk tour last night of tour at southampton . still the best band after 30+ years.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 AM, August 09, 2007) : 

    08/08/07

    Red Rocks
    Morrison, CO

    Same setlist as listed at top of page.

    First set: Obscure stuff like Digital Man, Entre Nous, and Circumstances.

    Second set: String of song from new album followed by hits Subdivisions, Natural Science and Whitch Hunt.

    Nice end with YYZ.

    Geddy video taped the audience at one point between songs.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM, August 13, 2007) : 

    08/12/2007
    Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
    San Antonio, TX

    Identical set list at the top of the page. I purposely didn't go looking for it beforehand so I could be surprised. BOY, was I surprised! Entre Nous, Circumstances, Between the Wheels, Mission all in the first set? I was blown away that they pulled these great tunes out of the vault which we never really get to hear live. Sprinkle a little Limelight, Free Will, Dreamline and the two new tunes (Main Monkey Business ripped ass!) and it was one of the best opening sets I think I've ever seen them do. They've still got the chops to do whatever the hell they feel like. Truly amazing!

    I was surprised about the five new songs in a row to start the second set, but I love Snakes & Arrows so it worked for me. The video on Working Them Angels was very powerful. San Antonio is a military town, so the crowd went nuts on the last frame with the silhouette of the soldiers. Also, as one of the other posters mentioned, the South Park video was hilarious ("That's Huckleberry Finn, you a**hole!").

    Lots of people complain that they want to hear the Exit Stage Left drum solo, but I like the fact that Neil changes it up each tour. If not, he'd be bored by now and we'd still be listening to the solo from All The World's A Stage if you think about it.

    The place was in such a tizzy after Subdivisions & Natural Science, I was glad they played Witch Hunt to slow things down a bit, esp. since I had pretty much lost my voice by the end of the first set. I liked the little Hendrix-esque tip to the Summertime Blues, nice touch.

    Spirit, Tom Sawyer, Bangkok, YYZ towards the end of the show -- nuff said. Hardcore old-school fans will get 16 or so classics and newer fans will get every song they could possibly want to hear. I think it was a great balance of songs and definitely one of the best of the five shows I've seen over the past 17 years. I had to pony up $180 for 16th row center from a ticket broker, but it was worth every red cent -- would do it again in a heartbeat.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 AM, August 21, 2007) : 

    I traveled from Monterrey Mexico to San Antonio for my second tour in a row (i went also for R30) and the show kicked ass!!! boy, they never stop surprising me. Don't miss the chance to see them!!!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:26 PM, August 24, 2007) : 

    Saw the lads last night in Kansas City at Verizon Ampitheater - great crowd and a freaking awesome show! Same set list - several of us had discussed potential set lists on the drive over and nailed a lot of them, which completely freaked us out. I'd never expect Entre Nous but it was perfect and Neal's solo just goes to prove how great a percussionist he is. Only a couple of quibbles - I would like to have them drop Summertime Blues for something original. I'm going over to St. Louis for the show tonight and I hope they swap it out for Distant Early Warning as others have noted. Overall the show rocks and the set list really works well.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 PM, August 24, 2007) : 

    I was at the KC show last night as well. Had not seen them in concert for many years. I was totally blown away. If you have any chance of seeing them, go. Non-stop power from the opening note. Geddy's energy was tremendous, Alex was great and Neil was Neil. Crowd was really into it. Sure, there are some songs they could have played, but in no way should you be disappointed with what they don't play. There were flat-out awesome for 3 hours.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 AM, August 27, 2007) : 

    I saw the show in St. Louis Friday, 8/24. I didn't recognize the newer stuff since I haven't bought a Rush album since Signals. Can some one provide the play list so I can know what I heard?
    Thanks

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM, August 27, 2007) : 

    I attended the Kc show on the 23rd-It was a sensory overload!!Everyone can appreciate the Tightness and shine these three guys put into their shows--Each show is a masterpiece of music as art--There is a bond shared by the band and the fans that is obvious when you look around at the crowd--There were many songs from s&a--Great!! another fantastic album!!

     

    Anonymous Nocturne said ... (2:55 AM, August 28, 2007) : 

    Got to see three shows on this tour (Boston, MA, Saratoga Springs, NY & Vegas Baby!), they rocked a little harder each time. The Vegas show was indoors & was the best by far. That makes 33 in total for me, couldn't complain about the set list glad they changed it up from the last couple of tours. Wish I had the means to head over to Europe to see a few more but I guess I will have to wait for the next tour. If you've never seen Rush, what are you waiting for? Every tour since Test for Echo has been a bonus, they came so close to packing it in back in '97, we are lucky to still have them touring!!!!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 AM, August 29, 2007) : 

    the best rush show i've ever seen. the musicianship was top notch and pretty much straight drums, bass, and guitar. fantastic set list (circumstances was a treat). they played like they were back in their 20's again and grooved like 70 year old jazz musicians. fresh new drum solo. speaking of drums, neil's kit sounded absolutely amazing!! hopefully they'll put out another cd/dvd of the show!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM, September 02, 2007) : 

    The last 3 Rush tours have had the best in lighting and video but have completely dropped the ball with PA systems... and maybe sound men.

    I attend a lot of concerts and know good PA systems. The Clair Brothers i4 PA that Rush carries with them is NOT one of them and is just a bad choice. Just as troubling, on the last 3 tours I have seen an OVERABUNDANCE of Audio Technica mics. No matter how you wrap it and sell it, cheap Asian mics are still going to be cheap Asian mics. I mean really... no Shure, Sennheiser or beyerdynamic mics on stage?

    This has to be a reflection on their sound man who arranges such things. If you read this blog, with all due respect I have to ask what you were thinking when you selected this PA? You are at the top of your game mixing for a band like Rush and you could have had anything... VDOSC, D&B, heck even meyer and you chose a clair i4 PA system? I thought things couldn't be any worse when you had that Vertec rig out and I was right... the i4 boxes are better ... but not by much. Please know people notice.... And I have to say I was in pain from your mix and still straining to hear distinct guitar and drums. I'm trying to be nice but the overheads just sounded cheap.
    If someone within the organization reads this... PLEASE do us a favor and bring your sound/PA up to the same par as the lighting (SPECTACULAR) video (brilliant) and of course the band's musicianship. PLEASE!!!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM, September 04, 2007) : 

    thank goodness Rush are returning to the uk, and I am looking forward to seeing them again. No 2112 subtracks, well it is on every live album they've ever done so maybe a change would be nice. Snakes and Arrows gets played in the car to and from work and I do find myself singing to it so come the concert i'm sure they will get a great response.
    Looking forward to the 5th October. Everyone enjoy.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM, September 07, 2007) : 

    Saw them in Milwaukee last night in Milwaukee, WI

    The comments on the sound are somewhat valid. I noticed an ATM 25 for a snare mic and thought it was a curious choice. I didn't check the FOH board or do any research on the PA However, the sound wasn't as bad to me as some have indicated. by the time they hit "Mission" it was dialed in.

    Here's the set list from last night, including a breakdown by album what they hit. I was sad to not hear "Roll the Bones" and "The Pass" as I have in the past 5 tours. Maybe that's why it's gone now?

    Limelight - Moving Pictures
    Digital Man - Signals
    Entre Nous - Permanent Waves
    Mission - Hold Your Fire
    Free Will - Permanent Waves
    The Main Monkey Business - Snakes & Arrows
    The Larger Bowl - Snakes & Arrows
    Secret Touch - Vapor Trails
    Circumstances - Hemispheres
    Between The Wheels - Grace Under Pressure
    Dreamline - Roll The Bones

    INTERMISSION

    Far Cry - Snakes & Arrows
    Working Them Angels - Snakes & Arrows
    Armor and Sword - Snakes & Arrows
    Spindrift - Snakes & Arrows
    The Way The Wind Blows - Snakes & Arrows
    Subdivisions - Signals
    Natural Science - Permanent Waves
    Witch Hunt - Moving Pictures
    Malignant Narcissism - Snakes & Arrows
    Drum Solo
    Hope - Snakes & Arrows
    Distant Early Warning - Grace Under Pressure
    The Spirit of Radio - Permanent Waves
    Tom Sawyer - Moving Pictures

    ENCORE

    One Little Victory - Vapor Trails
    A Passage to Bangkok - 2112
    YYZ - Moving Pictures

    Here's the count:
    Snakes & Arrows: 9
    Moving Pictures: 4
    Permanent Waves: 4
    Signals: 2
    Grace Under Pressure: 2
    Vapor Trails: 2
    Hemispheres: 1
    Hold Your Fire: 1
    Roll The Bones: 1
    2112: 1

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 PM, September 10, 2007) : 

    Saw S&A in San Diego in July and it was the best concert I have ever seen. Incredible virtuoso performances and unbelievable great video and lights.

    The new songs are OUTSTANDING and to hear them live is amazing. We loved it so much that we flew to Chicago this past weekend to see the show again.

    And it was awesome again, sound quality was not nearly as good as in San Diego but they are absolutely mesmerizing.

    RUSH RULES!!!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 PM, September 10, 2007) : 

    I just saw them in Chicago on Saturday 9/8/07. I have to say they played more of the new album than I ever remember them playing from a new album before and I haven't missed a tour since "AFTK". As for those who mentioned they didn't care for all the new music that was performed, that I understand that and you could tell that there were a lot of people that weren't familiar with the new CD and it brought the crowd down a little. To make a point for them I would say that the new and fresh music is the stuff they want to play you could tell that Geddy was really into it when he sang the new ones. If that's what keeps them coming back I say rock on Rush - play whatever you want! Let’s also remember from a music business stand point – part of the tour’s intention is to promote the new material and if you don't play it you aren’t really promoting your product. As for me and other harder core Rush fans I was familiar with Snakes and Arrows so I really enjoyed that. Sure I could have handled another hour of the old stuff too, we all have our favorites!

    In my opinion there was only one less than complimentary thing to say about the show. Some of the mixing of the vocals seemed a bit shrieky and louder than I thought they should have been on the new tracks. As someone else astutely pointed out maybe it was the PA or mics they were using that was partly to blame. I’m curious if anybody else noticed that or maybe it was just the projection to where we were seated. Section 102 Row Z.

    The camera work on the big screens was excellent and the videos were very creative and entertaining! The three commercial chicken rotisseries labeled “Henhouse” was another installation of odd things on stage and two times that I remember a chief type looking character came out and appeared to do something but I’m not sure what that really added to the show other than a smile and a “that’s weird”.

    All in all it was a classic Rush show; that is to say it is always professional, tight, filled with great effects, performances and superior musicianship. Vive la Rush, you guys are the best!!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM, September 24, 2007) : 

    Saw them in Ottawa Sept 21st. They played Distant Early Warning instead of Summertime Blues as mentioned in the other posts. The Ottawa newspaper said they played Summertime Blues but the reporter probably just got the song list from the internet and didn’t stay for the whole show.

    Did Geddy Lee mess up the words in Freewill? I seem to notice it, and it looked like he smiled after he mess the lyrics.

    Sure I would have love to hear this song or that song, but with 18 albums of their own songs, there's no way they can please everyone. My theory is the songs were the ones that Rush wanted to play based on these things I've come across (don't take them as fact, its what I recall)
    -They don't think much of their first three albums or Presto
    -The Mission is their favourite song that they wrote
    -Temple of Syrinx is too high for Geddy, even in the eighties, he sings it differently, probably transposing down an octave
    -Rush always plays the majority of their latest album (indicative of their forward thinking attitude)

    I would always get annoyed with those bands who would come out with a great album and then play only three songs from it (notably Triumph ... and where are they now?... (ok I know Rik Emmitt's playing in bars in Quebec))

    And I wasn't much of a fan of Rush’s latest album, but seeing and hearing it played live is just amazing. That was the best concert in my entire lifetime. But isn't every Rush concert the best?

    Or another theory on the song list is that it is their last tour. They are “only immortal, for a limited time”.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 AM, October 03, 2007) : 

    any news about the set list yesterday in Glasgow? Has it changed from the american one?

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 AM, October 04, 2007) : 

    Saw the Glasgow show last night. Summertime Blues was replaced with Distant Early Warning, as others have noted. Otherwise the set list hasn't changed.

     

    Blogger Robin said ... (12:49 PM, October 04, 2007) : 

    Following on from some of the comments about the sound/PA system, the sound for the first half of the show in Glasgow last night was as bad as I've ever heard - "painfully loud low frequency noise + vocals" essentially. It did clear up for the second set, after a noticably long intermission, but still didn't sound particularly pleasant. If it hadn't been Rush I would have been long gone by that time and quite a few people did leave at the intermission.

    Still, the second set was great and getting Distant Early Warning rather than Summertime Blues was a bonus. OK, I would have preferred a better selection from the Presto/Roll The Bones/Counterparts/Test For Echo era than just Dreamline, maybe Jacob's Ladder instead of Natural Science or, as someone else suggested, the return of the Fear trilogy.

    But it was still the best setlist they've assembled for years, with plenty of new material, and a huge improvement on R30. At least, it was when you could hear it...

     

    Blogger cottyfromshields said ... (6:07 AM, October 05, 2007) : 

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     

    Blogger cottyfromshields said ... (6:20 AM, October 05, 2007) : 

    off 2 newcastle 2nite and cant wait. taking my 13 and 15 yr old sons 2.ist proper gig 4 them so will be cool 2 see their faces. i hope distant is in the set cos im struggling with s&a never mind summertime blues(which is a laff) but id rather have a classic like distant any day. anyway no one does that encore pop stuff like bon jovi( wellllllllll u make me wanna shout)imo...it was almost 28 years ago that i spent an entire xmas day in my bedroom listening 2 my ist rush album 2112. all of a sudden blondies heart of glass was redundant and the rush steamroller had begun its journey. the meek shall inherit the earth(what the hells all that abt i thought) i was hooked...things came to a ultimate point where i knew they cudnt get better with grace under pressure. id riden the train all that way and im totally honest here the band left me behind somewhat when presto came along. id liked power windows and hold your fire bur the damage was done. the emotions of rush and myself are tangled in that late 70s and 80s period and many people ive spoken 2 over the years have said the same. they still love the new stuff but part of themselves is in the old stuff. their souls or the part of their soul god allows them 2 feel with(actually its part of your brain but hey im on a roll here) is part of the rush story. im sure thats the same for the newer generations which can relate 2 neils lyrics. but for me im still wandering on the fringes of the city. joining in that old witch hunt. pretnding im the boy with the baseball cap and wondering how i get 2 xanadu. thanx for indulging me shaun

     

    Blogger cottyfromshields said ... (7:57 AM, October 05, 2007) : 

    one more thing i have 2 agree with posts above that we should always be grateful 2 rush for still making music and touring. its easy 2 be complacent. at least weve never had 2 wait 4 our fav band 2 reform. theyve been an ever present in our lives. so cheers to the boys and heres to the next 39 years. wonderful and amazing complex rush...you can tell im excited cant you...lmao

     

    Blogger cottyfromshields said ... (7:58 AM, October 05, 2007) : 

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     

    Blogger cottyfromshields said ... (7:59 AM, October 05, 2007) : 

    haway the lads hawaaay hawaaaay hawaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy come on hehe

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 AM, October 10, 2007) : 

    Awesome gig last night at Wembley. No complaints about the material they played or moans about material they didn't play.
    New stuff was outstanding, old stuff was ... outstanding.
    The guys who can't accept that the band want to play some different stuff every now and then should just not bother going.

     

    Anonymous domaners said ... (4:22 AM, October 13, 2007) : 

    Was my first time seeing Rush last night (Birmingham) it was beyond good...

    But yeah they played exactly that set list plus Distant Early Warning somewhere towards the end. I was slightly disappointed by Encore songs (bar YYZ) and they also played a bit too much from Snakes and Arrows. I would've gladly swapped The Way the Wind Blows or Armor and Sword for something like The Big Money (which would've sounded great in the NEC arena) or Xanadu.

     

    Anonymous justice25 said ... (5:46 PM, October 14, 2007) : 

    Was at the NEC om Friday - Awesome!

    I wasn't too sure about S&A until I heard the (9?) tracks live - talk about heavy. I was with a friend who does not even listen to anything Rush have done since Grace and he was blown away too.

    I liked the way that the PA ramped up the volume gradually during the set (much like in the R30 tour) until it was almost intollerable by the end (in a good way) - we were shellshocked for most of the weekend.

    Respect

     

    Anonymous Brandy said ... (7:53 AM, October 19, 2007) : 

    The Boston show actually had a different set list. They played YYZ, at some point during the show, not as an encore. The set list was a little different. Not much, but there is definantly a difference.

    I hope they come around again. I would love to see them.

     

    Anonymous jon Lyndon said ... (3:39 AM, October 23, 2007) : 

    I have fortunately seen Rush about 13 times since 1980, Permanent Waves Tour at the tail end when they were trying out a few Moving Pictures songs (Tom Sawyer, YYZ, ...). I moved to Australia in 2004 (the year the Boston Red Sox finally won a Wolrd Series!!! and they are there again!!!). Sadly, Rush have never toured OZ, so it is the first studio tour I've missed since Grace... (I missed Signals). I am glad to hear the tour sounded as great as ever; the set list sounds perfect (espc. ending w/ YYZ, and putting in Digital Man & Entres Nous as well as opening w/ a classic. The last time I saw them was on vapor Trails, in Hartford (the first show of that tour) and they opened w/ Tom Sawyer. Totally blew me away... I was so use to them opening w/ something new. I actually didn't want to hear that song, but as they opened w/ it I was just so completely sucked into the moment of Rush, it was sublime! I've read they are releasing a DVD of the Snakes Tour, shot in Germany, so at least I'll have that.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 AM, November 18, 2007) : 

    People have to stop complaining about "too much S&A songs." First of all, every song by Rush is incredible, second of all, it is a S&A tour. They are promoting the new album. Sure we would like to hear songs from every album, but they can't play for two days straight. I saw them in Buffalo. Fantastic show. Every song rocked.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM, March 06, 2008) : 

    My only complaint is they didn't ADD The Trees to this set list, lol. Look forward to see them on 4/13 though whatever they play...

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM, May 04, 2008) : 

    Just saw them Tuesday in Albuquerque NM and the show was Awesome. They played The Trees. So they changed there set list a little again. Loved the 3 henhouses behind Getty, they even had a dude come out in a chefs hat and baste the hens/chickens a few times during the show. Hilarious.

     

    post a comment