Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Monday, June 25, 2007

    Recycling is pretty much a waste...

    This came up over the weekend, so here are some enlightening articles on the wasteful myth of recycling.

    Here is a great article that ran in the New York Times Magazine in 1996, Recycling is Garbage
     
    Apart from some touchy feely feel good about mother earth sorta stuff, there is little point in it.
     
    Especially when it comes to glass bottles.  Glass is made out of sand.  We are not running out of sand.
     
    Now I want to be clear about this: reducing what we use and reusing what we use are still good ideas.  Driving a more fuel efficient car, and driving less -- still good ideas.  But rounding up a bunch of bottles, washing them out, and sending them to some processing facility to be recycled -- when it costs less and uses less energy to make new bottles -- just makes no sense. 

    Comments on "Recycling is pretty much a waste..."

     

    Blogger anne said ... (9:58 AM, June 25, 2007) : 

    A few things to add to the discussion. Computers are one of the biggest problems in landfills. There are all kinds of nasty chemicals in the motherboards, and in the batteries of laptops. Those chemicals leach into the water system and soil. Bad news for the ecosystem. I wish there were some way to prevent at least the toxic stuff from getting to the landfills.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (10:15 AM, June 25, 2007) : 

    Computers are different. Disposal of one is tricky. I have never simply bagged one and put it out.

     

    Blogger Kristen said ... (10:21 AM, June 25, 2007) : 

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     

    Blogger Kristen said ... (10:23 AM, June 25, 2007) : 

    I've been saying this for years but no one likes to think their minute effort to help the environment is in fact hurting the environment. I am still completely for the reuse of tires as sidewalks and roadways. They're doing more and more with them but not enough. John Stossel convinced me of this 10 years ago and I won't back down from my stance.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (10:43 AM, June 25, 2007) : 

    If there is a way to make better roads out of old tires, then I might be in favor of that. I would want to learn more before I embraced it or rejected it.

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (12:16 PM, June 25, 2007) : 

    Cell phones are tricky too. I still carry around my old one even though I'm using a new one.

    My problem was/is not with the concept, but a person coming into my home and criticising and then feeling like I had to politely defend myself when I really wanted to say, "Fuck off."

     

    Blogger anne said ... (12:03 PM, June 26, 2007) : 

    More like "fuck off hippie bitch, your haircut looks like my 2yr old nephew styled it."

    Old tires being used for roadways: That's cool, but asphalt is recyclable. They pull it off the road, melt it down, and re-apply.

    Cell phones: Give your old cell phones to me. I take them to the women's shelter. They get re-used.

     

    post a comment