Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Friday, May 18, 2007

    Porcupine Tree TONIGHT at HOB, doors open at 7

    I am very excited about this show!!!  As of last night there were still a few tix available.
     
    Here is Scene's write-up:
     
    If the title and sentiment of Porcupine Tree's new CD Fear of a Blank Planet seem a tad cynical, they merely reflect frontman Steve Wilson's current state of mind. "Technology is affecting the younger generation," he says. "We live vicariously through gadgets. We have iPods and 500 channels of TV. We have drugs for bipolar disorder. And we have Big Brother. There's a sense that the 21st century is a scary place for a young person."

    The album -- a rage against television, video games, and "download culture" in general -- ties together six songs in a 51-minute suite. Yes, Fear of a Blank Planet is a modern-day prog-rock record. But the British band (which has been making records for 15 years) plays like it's a tribute to '70s rock and roll -- no more specific genre required. "The whole idea of the album is disappearing," says Wilson. "We have this jukebox mentality. Sequencing and flow is going out the window. And that's become a microcosm of the 21st century." Wilson builds Fear of a Blank Planet with a flurry of synths, strings, and head-spinning rhythms. There's even a 17-minute epic called "Anesthetize" that wraps the album's doubts, desires, and anxieties in an aurally complex ball of confusion. "I wanted to do something on a grand scale this time," says Wilson. "I wanted it to be a conceptual piece of music that hangs together -- all related lyrically, all related musically. It's like putting a jigsaw puzzle together." Yet, for all his apprehensions, Wilson believes hope is on the horizon. He hears it in bands like the Flaming Lips, Nine Inch Nails, and Sigur Rós, and he sees it in a select group of young fans that take the time to dissect the records. But there's still a long way to go, he says. "It's hard not to sneer at what's presented as entertainment and art these days. Look at American Idol -- a program that's creating a generation of singers who should be singing on cruise ships. How far would Tom Waits get on a program like that?"

    Date/Time: Fri., May 18, 7:00pm

    Comments on "Porcupine Tree TONIGHT at HOB, doors open at 7"

     

    Blogger James said ... (11:08 AM, May 18, 2007) : 

    Sorry I will not be there in time to join you all. The concert here in NYC is supposed to be great. I will be watching the cavs game from roosters, hopefully we will win!

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (11:33 AM, May 18, 2007) : 

    Go CAVS! Beat the Nuts.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (11:33 AM, May 18, 2007) : 

    (Nets)

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (11:38 AM, May 18, 2007) : 

    I am wearing comfortable shoes.

    These prog-esque rockers can go on forever.

     

    Blogger Matt said ... (11:41 AM, May 18, 2007) : 

    What a great quote re: American Idol. ABC is creating a new generation of Kathie Lee Giffords.

    See you at the show tonight!

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (12:22 PM, May 18, 2007) : 

    Yeah, I liked that too. Wilson is good for a zinger now and then.

    See you tonight, Matt!

     

    Blogger Kristen said ... (1:14 PM, May 18, 2007) : 

    If I had the energy I'd take on his pretentious account of Idol artists, but its not worth the little energy I do have. All I will say is that in my opinion, a good artist who is confident in his own work, doesn't need to shoot down others to make himself feel better. I don't like most country music but I wouldn't call Brooks & Dunn hacks just because I don't like their brand of song.

     

    Blogger James said ... (1:40 PM, May 18, 2007) : 

    ug, delayed until 10:30 now...glad I didn't buy any tix!

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (2:38 PM, May 18, 2007) : 

    K: I get your point, and I will chuckle quietly to myself next time you review a book or a story and pan it.

    But I wouldn't insult Brooks and Dunn by comparing them to AI. I am not all that familiar with them, but I understand that B&D write the majority of their own material, write songs for others (like Toby Keith), and play their own instruments. While I am not a fan of country music, I wouldn't slam on them just because of their genre. What they do is original, and they are artists, even if I don't have an appreciation for their art.

    AI is hardly more than a televised karaoke contest. Not that AI can't be fun -- I did watch the first season. And I love singing karaoke myself, but I would hardly confuse singing karaoke with "art."

     

    Blogger Kristen said ... (4:29 PM, May 18, 2007) : 

    Thanks for helping me prove my point that pretentious people can't help but insult others to make themselves feel better.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (6:36 PM, May 19, 2007) : 

    Anytime, hon!

     

    post a comment