Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Monday, May 07, 2007

    Pleasing

    When I worked for the government, there were certain plugger-types who had the following sign hanging up in their work area:
     
    I can only please one person a day.
     
    Today is not your day.
     
    Tomorrow is not looking good either.
     
    I hated those signs.  I remembered thinking that anyone displaying one ought to be fired on the spot.  I remember thinking that the statement that was being made was that the worker didn't give a shit about customer service, and stereotypically, the displayer being a low level bureaucrat, poor service is expected, sign or no sign.  That is almost axiomatic.
     
    Looking back on it, maybe I misunderstood the statement.  Aren't such signs posted out of frustration?  Posted out of a sense of futility?  Almost no one who has business at the clerk of courts office or the BMV is ever happy to be there, no matter how smoothly it goes.  So no matter what the workers do, no one is really happy about how they went about doing it.  The workers know that.  And they are just being candid about.  It is very possible that some days, most days even, no one is pleased. Being able to please even one person a day might be unduly and irrationally optimistic.

    Comments on "Pleasing"

     

    Blogger anne said ... (12:08 PM, May 07, 2007) : 

    It annoys me when people have lots of snarky work posters/sayings hanging by their desk. I mean, if your job sucks that badly, get a different one. Quit being passive-aggressive.

    Although I do relate to the idea that some people cannot be pleased no matter what you do.

     

    Blogger James said ... (1:04 PM, May 07, 2007) : 

    I am happy, but only because of this post. Audient makes me happy every time he posts something. Thank you!

    Day 11 into my 30s and I am STILL HAPPY!

     

    Blogger Mr. Bebout said ... (4:43 PM, May 07, 2007) : 

    You know what makes me happy? Well, I will tell you. I am happy when people donate money to a good cause like breast cancer research and what not. Check out my blog "Chasing Paper" and follow the link to help save boobs and the women attahced to them.

    Additionally, I am not a fan of bumper sticker logic in general. I think that people who start and end the day knowing they are not going to go the extra distance to make someone's experience better, or less bad, should not work in a place where those things matter. Perhaps a file clerk for the VA would be a better place for them

     

    post a comment