Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Wednesday, May 02, 2007

    MusicToday Sucks

    So I called back last night and spoke with Mary. Gave her my order number and asked to cancel my order. She refused. She said that they got a policy today that there would be no cancellations per the requirements of "the client." I asked who the client was. She said "Rush."

    I asked her where on their website it shows us the policy of no cancellations. She said it was there. I said where? She said it is where you order. I said I don't see it. She gives me the website address -- of course I am already there. We walk through the website togather -- it isn't there. I try putting a CD in a cart and checking out -- it isn't there (althought I didn't hit the final button to purchase, but then it would be too late.) She then says that the no return policy was in the email confirmation I would have received when I ordered it. Again, I note that if the return policy is revealed only after purchase, then it is too late. Plus I then pull up my email confirmation and of course, there is no policy stated there.

    She then tells me that if I don't want my order, I can mark the package -- unopened -- return to sender, and I'll be refunded for the CD, DVD, T-shirt. What about shipping, I ask? Not shipping. Only $62.98 of my $78.18 would be refunded. I confirm that my order hasn't shipped yet. I tell her it is ridiculous that I should be made to pay for shipping when I am telling her right now NOT TO SEND IT. She said too bad. She said have you ever heard of a pre-order that you could cancel? I said, I've never heard of ordering any merchandise that can't be cancelled before it is shipped. She said pre-orders are like concert tickets. I sd, no they are not. That is apples and oranges. Ordering a CD is like ordering a CD. She asks me again, have I ever heard of a preorder that can be cancelled? I said when I order FoaBP from newburycomics.com -- they didn't even charge me till they shipped. She said we're not newburycomics.com. I sd, well obviously, but you asked me about other preorders.

    She sd again that they will not cancel. They've gotten lots of calls today. The policy they got TODAY is that there are no cancellations. I sd, if you got it today, then you were wasting my time (indeed LYING) when you said that it was on the website when I ordered it and in the confirmation email. She sd if they accept cancellations, they'll be in trouble with the client. They have a contract with them. I said, I am not a party to your contract, so that's musictoday's problem. And it is musictoday's problem that their anti-consumer policy of no cancellations is not advertised on the site, and you can't show me where it is. She insisted again that it was there -- I sd show me where -- she sd, I don't have time, that might take 10 minutes. I sd I have plenty of time, show me where it is. She sd I have other callers. I sd I don't care, show me. She sd preorders can't be cancelled because bands use them to know how much product to make. I sd, so what, show me the policy.

    I then ask her where musictoday is located. She sd Virginia. I sd where in Virginia, she sd Charlottesville. I sd I've been to Charlottesville (which I have), and she is silent. I ask, does musictoday get sued a lot over its policies on preorders. She sd she doesn't know but she doesn't think so. I sd if you aren't going to refund my money on an order that hasn't even shipped yet, and since you can't show me a policy that allows you to do that, well then this is where this is headed. She sd, we have a contract with the band. I sd I'd like to see that contract. She sd I don't have it, I've never seen it. I sd, you can bet I'll be seeing it if I bring a suit on behalf of everybody burned on this preorder. She sd, this call is over, and she hung up.

    I might file a complaint with the Attorney General's office in Virginia. And dispute it on my credit card -- let my bank fight it.

    Labels: , ,

    Comments on "MusicToday Sucks"

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (3:11 PM, May 02, 2007) : 

    They got the policy the *day* everything was supposed to arrive.

    Mary was mistaken - this is more like cancelling plane tickets.

    At least you can make a small profit by eBaying the concert tickets.

    Hint hint.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (3:16 PM, May 02, 2007) : 

    I already sold my extras at the "friends and family" rate of face value plus fees.

     

    Blogger James said ... (4:33 PM, May 02, 2007) : 

    I had a similar experience with mlb.com. I signed up for their free 5 day trial. On the 5th day I canceled. The only way to do so was via email. There was no number to call. So I email. Then 2 days later get an email back saying thank you for joining and your credit card was charged.
    I emailed back saying I canceled. 2 days later another email thanking me for joining and I was charged. This happened 7 times.
    So finally I contacted American Express who credited me the amount and said they would look into it. 2 days later I received another email thanking me and I was charged!
    I finally wrote back saying they were committing credit card fraud and I was going to contact all of the people who are being charged and file a law suit against them in New York. I explained that I was licensed here and in fact worked only a few short blocks from their office.
    Today, I got an email telling me they canceled my account and they would credit my account.
    What a pain! Customer Service sucks.

     

    Blogger Audient said ... (5:15 PM, May 02, 2007) : 

    Yes.

     

    Blogger anne said ... (9:31 AM, May 03, 2007) : 

    I cannot believe this company!! The way they are dealing with customers is ridiculous!! I have to give props to you for handling it so well. I guess it doesn't hurt being a trial lawyer. I know I would never be able to keep my cool like that.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM, May 03, 2007) : 

    Your anonymous former secretary here - I would love to have heard that conversation. My favorite part of arguing with customer service - when you know you have them over a barrel and they know it, they hang up on you. Nice. Thanks for saving me from EVER ordering anything from them. :-)

     

    Blogger MrsTito said ... (10:55 AM, May 03, 2007) : 

    The best line of BS was that she tried to tell you that the band would judge how much to produce based on pre-orders. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I love when Customer Service reps talk out of their buttholes.

     

    Anonymous Calvin said ... (1:08 AM, May 04, 2007) : 

    I'm not sure I agree. I've never seen a preorder that can be cancelled. I used to work for a band management company. I called musictoday to see if I got a different story than you did from Mary. I talked to a guy who said it's always been the policy, but the call center was reminded of it that day because of requests to cancel. He showed me where it says it can't be cancelled on the shipping page. I saw it too. If you don't want it just sell it - like Gina says.

     

    Blogger MrsTito said ... (12:27 AM, May 10, 2007) : 

    Are the tickets for Cleveland or Columbus? I know, stupid question, but I have a lot of friends in C-Bus who would be interested and are MySpacing at this very moment about their desire to obtain tickets.

     

    post a comment