Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Wednesday, March 07, 2007

    Know Your Rights, All Three of Them

    I saw this post today, and I wanted to post a comment there, but I didn't.

    I was tempted to write something snarky like "I hate welfare in Ohio, too -- so let's get rid of it." But that isn't really how I feel. Welfare should exist and be available as a temporary measure, just not a way of life. But that said, I just cannot sympathize with someone complaining about how much harder it is to get foodstamps in Ohio compared with her experience getting foodstamps in New York.

    Comments on "Know Your Rights, All Three of Them"

     

    Anonymous Kathleen said ... (1:30 PM, March 07, 2007) : 

    I read some of her blog and I'm not sure I understand her reasons behind it. It would seem that she is deliberatly keeping herself below the poverty line, even if she doesn't have to, for research purposes.

    It would also seem that while you can sympathize with the homeless and the poor in Cleveland, you can't pretend to be one of them if you have the means to move where you want in the city and type on your computer in a nicely heated apartment in Edgewater, which I never thought of as a crappy or poor part of Lakewood.

     

    Blogger anne said ... (4:11 PM, March 07, 2007) : 

    I thought the same thing. Did you read the one comment she had? Some guy who was on welfare for two years, and was grateful for it helping him get back on his feet. He didn't even say anything nasty to her, which is more than what I would have done.

     

    Blogger Kristen said ... (10:01 AM, March 08, 2007) : 

    At the same time, if this person who seems to be a bit of a dunce is having this problem, so is he single mom struggling to feed her kid. It should be hard to get welfare but not impossible and you shouldn't have to go hungry while trying to figure it out.

     

    Blogger James said ... (11:37 AM, March 08, 2007) : 

    I feel like you discussed this last year. When your blog begins to repeat itself, it might be time to hang up the keyboard - I am just sayin'!

     

    Blogger MrsTito said ... (12:06 PM, March 08, 2007) : 

    I posted on the blog, but I'll comment here too. When I was pregnant with Emily and living in Ashtabula, I was laid off of work unexpectedly. In my case it was just medical I sought, although I found out that I qualified for food stamps - Ashtabula is a poor, poor city! The process was actually quite simple. I went to the office during open hours, I waited my turn, I spoke with a employee for about 15 minutes and submitted the appropriate paperwork (which I believe was a ID card, my last paycheck stub and a utility bill - not super hard stuff to get ahold of). By the end of the week it was done and over. It wasn't difficult or painful. I'm not sure where this author is coming from either because I don't believe that homeless people would even have access to welfare, medical or food stamps because they can't prove residency? Am I wrong?

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (12:22 PM, March 08, 2007) : 

    I'm sure there are still many undiscussed facets of this topic.

    I also didn't understand deliberately keeping oneself below the povery line. Unless one is writing a creative nonfiction piece and feels that they need to immerse themselves in order to be faithful to the story.

    Or a blog, it would seem.

     

    Blogger anne said ... (12:32 PM, March 08, 2007) : 

    Oh, and to the 216 blogger? Barbara Ehrenreich called and wants her book idea back. It's already been done sweetheart. It's a national bestseller called Nickle and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America. You can borrow my copy.

     

    Blogger MrsTito said ... (3:04 PM, March 08, 2007) : 

    Did you guys ever watch that Morgan Spurlock (the guy that ate McDonalds for 30 days) series? He did one on living on minimum wage, in all places - Columbus, OH. Some of it was obviously not accurate (like being able to move into an apartment without a deposit. Even ghetto landlords charge a deposit!), but a lot of it was spot on. I believe his series is out on DVD and sometimes airs on FX. Love it.

     

    post a comment