Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Tuesday, October 03, 2006

    The Great Sound of Saving Money

    I've been wanting to pick up new speakers for awhile.  Over a year ago, the woofers on my old speakers crumbled.  They had served me well for over 15 years.  In a fit of madness, I threw them to the curb, where they disappeared in about half an hour.  This was foolish, as the cases were in great shape and I could have had them rebuilt.  I regret that much like I regret unloading my old Marantz receiver.
     
    Last Friday I was trolling around on craigslist and I discovered BIC speakers.  BIC's national repair center is in Highland Heights.  Anything of theirs that is scratch and dent, or otherwise returned, ends up in Highland Heights.  They were unloading some speakers -- specifically some of their RTR speakers, which is BIC's value line.
     
    Now, I would rather have a nice pair of KEFs, everything else being equal.  But it isn't equal: dropping a couple grand on speakers is difficult.
     
    I went to BIC's distribution center over on Alpha Drive.  It is just a loading dock and a work area.  Not a retail site by any means.  The RTR 1530s look impressive, and sound pretty good for a value speaker.  They weren't perfect, the cases each had a couple of small dings, but nothing I can't live with in the rec room.  Especially not at $80 for a pair.  And at that price, they sound great!  I hooked them up, cleaned off a few LPs, and soaked it all in.  The wall of sound they create is formidable.  And leaving the little Bose speakers hooked up rounds out the high end.  I must say I am rather pleased with my acquisition.
     
     
     

    Comments on "The Great Sound of Saving Money"

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50 AM, October 03, 2006) : 

    That's a whole lot of speaker for 80 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers.\\I bet a recording of Beeeaaaaaanns and RRaaaanch would soung great!!

     

    Blogger anne said ... (12:48 PM, October 03, 2006) : 

    This is what I read "blah blah blah blah, speakers, jargon jargon jargon, Highland Heights". I can't even tell you where the speakers are on my computer, which is where I listen to most of my music. I love that someone knows, it makes me feel like if I ever wanted to know, I could ask Audient.

     

    Blogger Gina Ventre said ... (1:06 PM, October 03, 2006) : 

    They look quite imposing in their corner of the rec room.

    Pink Floyd sounds great on them...and I have this need to listen to "Great Gig in the Sky."

     

    Blogger melcarrel said ... (1:55 PM, October 03, 2006) : 

    We have BIC's in our house. They have great specs for the price! I'm sure you'll be happy with them!

    I wouldn't usually know except we have detailed discussions about every piece of sound recording equipment we own.

     

    Blogger Betty said ... (2:41 PM, October 03, 2006) : 

    I have no clue about speakers, I only know when it sounds good.
    I could kick my self in the ass for losing all of my LPs in divorce, i probably had over 200. Including many Floyd LPs.
    What was I thinking?
    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR!

     

    post a comment