Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Tuesday, September 12, 2006

    Tuesday Talkback

    The PD readers moan, and I Talkback.

    "I wish umbrella companies would make umbrellas much stronger. Every time it rains, we get wet and the wind tears apart the umbrellas. That really annoys me." - Cleveland

    You need to buy a better umbrella. They do make stronger umbrellas, but they cost a lot more. So you can buy 3 or 4 of the cheapies, or buy a really nice one. I bought a beautiful Totes umbrella with a vent to allow the air to pass through it and with carbon fiber reinforcement. Granted, I left it a restaurant somewhere -- but some member of the waitstaff now has a mighty fine umbrella.

    "I thought someone from the county auditor's office was supposed to inspect my property every few years. Checking my property on the auditor's Web site, they list two few bedrooms and baths and no central air. Guess the inspector missed the big A.C. unit installed in my yard eight years ago. I won't tell, because it will only raise my taxes. I wonder how many more are like me?" -Cleveland

    Yeah, you're funny. Too bad you didn't list your address. Me? I bought a house last summer -- and the auditor has now assumed that the price I paid for the house is now, exactly and coincidentally, the taxable value of the house. Imagine that. I'm sure the only "inspection" they conducted was a look at the recorded documents listing the sale price of the house.

    "Ohio State has a great football team, but they also have the best marching band in the country. And when you watch an Ohio State football game on television and get to halftime, do you get to see the band? Of course not. They have to go to the studio for a bunch of inane babbling!" - Cleveland Heights

    Ummm, how do you know whether OSU has the "best marching band in the country" when none of the halftime performances are broadcasted for any of the college games? It isn't like OSU games are unique that way. Now, I agree that OSU has a fine marching band, and I am looking forward to seeing them do the halftime at the next Browns game. But I think you are assuming a lot based upon your own pro-OSU opinion with no data to back it up. There is no NCAA or coaches (directors?) poll or BCS for marching bands, and thank God for that too -- because most of those band geeks would never pass the drug tests.

    "Why should the suburbs pay more for the proposed water and sewer rate increase? It's the city of Cleveland that has the oldest water and sewer lines that require the most maintenance?" - Middleburg Heights

    We're all part of the same system. Don't like it? Go dig a well.

    "Why can't the auto companies put their gas caps on the same side? It would be a lot easier pulling in to get gas." - Maple Heights

    So which side would be the correct side? And even if all the auto makers changed it, it wouldn't change all the vehicles already on the road. Here is a better moan: when will the auto companies finally make and mass produce an affordable car that doesn't use gasoline or diesel? You lack vision, complaining about mere gas caps.

    "I don't understand why ladies get their hair all fixed up, put pretty dresses on, but they insist on wearing shoes that show their ugly toes. Don't they sell pantyhose or knee-highs anymore?" - Mayfield Heights

    Another resentful grandma who had to cover up in her day... *yawn*.

    "I'm getting a little sick of the politicians - Mr. DeWine, Mr. Brown, Mr. Blackwell, Mr. Strickland - all pointing the finger at each other, at what they did three, five, seven years ago. The issue is now. Why do you want the position and what can you do for me? Represent me and I will vote for you." - Garfield Heights

    Negative campaigning works. Period. As for "what can you do for me" ... if only JFK were here to give you a kick in the pants.

    "After spending almost $50 at Babies R Us, I was told I would have to buy a gift box. I told them to forget it." - Avon

    Forget what? The whole purchase? Or just the box? Please tell me you shitcanned the whole sale!

    "The 'Wizard of Oz' and the orchestra at the Blossom Music Center: Although the evening was wonderful and it's a great idea to have something like that you could take the kids to, the food prices were ridiculous! Cheeseburgers and hot dogs for $5.75 apiece, and we're bringing a family of four?" - Parma

    Here's a thought: feed your family of four Parmites AT HOME. And I don't know if this show was an exception, but at the other Blossom orchestra shows you are permitted to bring a picnic dinner. I might be with you if you were talking the stadium or the ballpark (or even the I-X Center), but this was totally avoidable.

    "Why must each and every newscast on Fox 8 have a segment about 'American Idol'? Shoving a bunch of untalented people screaming off key down our throats is not news." - North Olmsted

    I agree that it isn't. However, there are three other channels in town offering local news. Change the channel.

    "The Northeast Ohio Sewer District wants a rate hike. Their rates are based on the water bill. If they would just combine the sewer district with the water department, it would save money on manpower, computers and postage. It's an unnecessary entity. It would negate their need for a rate increase." - Parma

    Leave it to a Parmite to decide that the sewer district is unnecessary. Way to go, Stanley Stinky.

    "No wonder so many people are shutting off their land lines and going to cell phones. All the phone company does is say, 'Push this, push that,' 'Do this, do that' or 'We're sorry, we can't get your number. What's your carrier's access code?' I'm very disgusted with the telephone menus." - Rocky River

    Uhhhhhh, cell phones are not a magic tool that get around telephone menus. Good luck with that.

    Labels:

    Comments on "Tuesday Talkback"

     

    Blogger MrsTito said ... (9:40 AM, September 12, 2006) : 

    But OSU has TBDBITL! It has its own acronymn, it has to be true!

     

    Blogger anne said ... (10:00 AM, September 12, 2006) : 

    Who watches halftime of football games anyway? That's when I take a bathroom break, get some more beer, do some laundry, call my sister and complain about the ref's calls.

    Although, as an alum, I have to agree that OSU has TBDBITL. It's their title, so therefore it is true, forever and always.

     

    Blogger esc said ... (1:19 PM, September 13, 2006) : 

    Another inane moan...

    TBDBITL is not an acronym. It is an abbrevitation.

    Sorry, pet peeve.

     

    Blogger MrsTito said ... (2:21 PM, September 13, 2006) : 

    tbeHow so? TBDBITL = The Best Damn Band In The Land seems like an acronym to me...

    ac·ro·nym (kr-nm) KEY

    NOUN:

    A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.

    ab·bre·vi·a·tion (-brv-shn) KEY

    NOUN:

    The act or product of shortening.
    A shortened form of a word or phrase used chiefly in writing to represent the complete form, such as Mass. for Massachusetts or USMC for United States Marine Corps.

    But, I'm not an english major so feel free to elaborate...

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 PM, September 13, 2006) : 

    Unless you pronounce it Tibbidbittle -- and I suppose anything is possible with you Buckeyes -- it's an abbreviation. Barron's Business Terms: "An acronym is pronounceable, whereas many other abbreviations are not." More specifically, presuming you say it T-B-D etc., it's an initialism.

     

    Blogger MrsTito said ... (3:19 PM, September 13, 2006) : 

    Yep, that's almost right. You pronounce it "Ti-Bit-Til". So, was I right, was I right?

     

    Blogger anne said ... (11:26 AM, September 14, 2006) : 

    Holy grammar lecture, Batman!

     

    post a comment