Be sure to visit the official website of The Law Office of Michael Dylan Brennan, LLC

  • Take me there NOW
  • LEGAL: All Original Material (c)2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Michael Dylan Brennan and The Audient Files, with no claim to any original works borrowed pursuant to and consistent with the Fair Use Doctrine, 17 U.S.C. 107.

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Monday, September 25, 2006

    The Chock Full Weekend

    Friday night I caught up on some much needed sleep.
     
    Saturday I got my hair cut, did a few things around the house.  Had an impromptu game night -- played a little Trivial Pursuit.  My team lost two games, but won the last one.
     
    Sunday I saw my cousin Jim and his wife, Beth.  They live near Charlotte, NC.  They were in Erie for a wedding.  They were taking the scenic route home, stopping to see Gina and me, Pat and Kat at Starbucks for coffee, before heading to Independence to see Beth's grandma, and then ultimately down I-77 to North Carolina.  We had a good visit, and it was fun to catch up, even if for just a couple of hours.
     
    Sunday I also took Gina to her first Browns game.  It was the first Browns game I actually made it to this season, even though I'd made it down to the Muni lot to tailgate during the preseason.  And we did stop down to see Chad and Chris and Jerry and the rest in the Muni lot.  Chad had been there since 6:00 in the morning or some ungodly time.  We had a little Champagne (of beers) and an excellent grilled pork chop a la Nappi.
     
    Beyond the old "on any given Sunday" platitude, I didn't really think the Browns had a shot.  But the Browns were in that game.  It was exciting.  No team had scored a TD on the Ravens this year, and the Browns scored two.  The Ravens may have won that game, they may have sacked Frye seven times, but beyond that they have nothing to be proud of.  While it was hard to see that end zone from my seats, it is hard to blame Frye for that late interception when he got caught in a blindside blitz -- I put that on the offensive line, not the QB.  Frye played exceptionally well for having little protection, though there were a couple of times he held the ball a little too long. 
     
    Gina really got into the game.  She was wearing a new Browns shirt, and had borrowed one of my ballcaps.  She cheered a lot, not just at the end of plays, but was yelling and clapping during the Ravens third down plays.  She had fun.  And I did too.  There are times when I wonder why, as a season ticket holder, I've spent all this money to watch all this bad football.  But yesterday wasn't bad football.  It was a loss, but it was a good game.  We were in it, even when I didn't expect the team to be in it.  And then when they lost, it was a real disappointment.  Not because I was surprised that they lost, but because they almost did win this game, and only one play could have made all the difference.  The Browns are 0-3 but it isn't a hopeless 0-3.  In Frye, Edwards, K2, Wimbley, Jackson and others, we caught a glimpse of what this team could soon be.
     
    Besides, the Browns are just one game back from the defending champion Steelers!   How screwed up is that?  Hats off to the Bengals for taking care of business in Pittsburgh.  The King is dead, long live the King -- as the Bengals continue their march to the Super Bowl.
     
    (I have pictures from the weekend -- I'll have to post them later...)

    Comments on "The Chock Full Weekend"

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM, September 25, 2006) : 

    Muni lot arrival was approximately 6:45, and in retrospect, yes, it was ungodly.

    but man that was some good pork!

    14 hours of beer drinking-fun having-football watching is taking a bit of a toll on me though

     

    Blogger Mr. Bebout said ... (12:48 PM, September 25, 2006) : 

    Whimp.

     

    Blogger Stephanie said ... (1:02 PM, September 25, 2006) : 

    Unfortunately I had to miss the tailgate this week in the name of being a good daughter and driving "all the way" out to Bula to spend a day with my parents.

    I will admit that thinking of 14 hours of drinking was also a little intimidating. Maybe I'll put my liver in training these next few weeks to prepare for the next one.

     

    Blogger Stephanie said ... (1:02 PM, September 25, 2006) : 

    Unfortunately I had to miss the tailgate this week in the name of being a good daughter and driving "all the way" out to Bula to spend a day with my parents.

    I will admit that thinking of 14 hours of drinking was also a little intimidating. Maybe I'll put my liver in training these next few weeks to prepare for the next one.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 PM, September 25, 2006) : 

    whimp?

    this from mister "i'm getting over a cold so I better not come out"

    in your face!

     

    Blogger Mr. Bebout said ... (3:21 PM, September 27, 2006) : 

    I was and I did. If I had gone to the game I would still be ill.
    However, if I was well and had gone, I would have partied down and jumped backup for work w/o issue like you

     

    post a comment